22: Hundred

TWENTY-TWO: HUNDRED
(guys, this is the 100th chapter of the Legend of the Eight series, how WILD is that??) 
OCTOBER 22
WIL DIAMOND

OUTSIDE, RAIN FELL OVER THE World of Magic and a navy sky was hidden away by angry gray clouds. Puddles formed along the edges of roads, swallowing others entirely. Doors were shut and windows fogged up as the rain fell through the night.

Inside was cozy with blankets, greasy pizza, and a Sex and the City marathon on television. Wil sat on a couch, a fleece blanket covering all but her head, and beside her was Chloe. After a few dramatic revelations, the girls thought it best to leave the Academy and retreat some place they could process and recoup. That place happened to be the loft apartment of Damon Donovan.

It was weird being back there. Wil had only been there once before—that first night when she met Damon—and since she'd arrived, memories flooded back to her. Him leading her up to his apartment, kissing her against the door while he fumbled with the lock. His lips on hers. His hands exploring every inch of her body. His breath against her neck. It was passionate, steamy, messy, and overwhelmingly sexy.

The apartment smelled like him. His spicy cologne and peppermint breath. A lingering scent of coffee hung in the air like a cloud of warmth and every time she inhaled, she breathed him in. It was like he was right there with her.

"This may be an unpopular opinion but I can't stand Carrie," said Chloe, taking a hard bite from a piece of crust. "She's whiney and annoying. I mean, you can't possibly go through that many men and still truly believe that they are the problem."

Wil snorted through a laugh. "Damn Lawson. Tough judge."

"Sorry, I just..." Chloe took a breath and then another bite. "Guys are stupid. Girls are stupid. Relationships are stupid. Love is so freaking complicated."

"Wow. A little cynical, Chlo. You might be spending too much time with me. You should switch it up. Try someone more bubbly like Kate."

"Speaking of," Chloe said and her voice wavered probably because she knew she was treading on dangerous territory. "You can't hide from her forever. You have to face this."

"Oh yeah?" In her hand, Wil swirled around a glass of bourbon—Damon's favorite, but she'd replace it eventually—and she contemplated a drink. "You sound like your brother."

"Funny," Chloe said. "I've been meaning to ask about him too."

Wil downed what remained in her glass in one swift swig and coughed after swallowing. The liquor burned her throat and if she was being honest, she wished it had done worse. Damaged her vocal chords so she couldn't speak. Knocked her unconscious, even. But neither of those things happened and the alcohol soaking her veins left her a little drunk so before she knew it, she was telling Chloe all about her once-relationship with Damon and how he turned her down just days earlier.

Wil poured herself a fresh glass and Chloe watched. Then she folded her arms over her chest.

"Like I said, love is so freaking complicated."

Wil shook her head, staring at the television.

"Love's simple," she said matter-of-factly. "We just have a way of making it really fucking complicated."

"So these complications... Is my brother one of yours?"

Wil raised a brow. "Is Levi one of yours?"

Chloe's cheeks flushed.

"Oh come on, Chlo. Something happened. Why else would you be so eager to leave with me? So spill."