9: In the Morning

NINE: IN THE MORNING
SEPTEMBER 17
CHLOE LAWSON

A CRISP FALL BREEZE BLEW in through the open window in Chloe's dorm and when it brushed over her exposed skin, shivers danced across her body. She reached across her bed to grab more of her blanket and her hand landed on the smooth, chiseled chest of Xavier Fallon.

Her chocolate brown eyes snapped open and the events of last night flooded back to her. She remembered sitting in the lounge of the North Hall, waiting for Wil who was supposed to meet her and study for a test on ancient runes. But when Wil didn't show, Chloe ended up studying alone—until Xavier showed up. He sat with her for a while before suggesting they go up to her dorm to study more privately. There, they began watching a movie.

And then they kissed.

And then they were naked.

After remembering those details, Chloe tore out of her bed with her sheet wrapped around her chest, her heart racing.

"Xavier," she snapped, tossing his boxers on his sleeping body. "Xavier, you have to wake up. It's morning. We're going to be late to class."

Slowly, Xavier rose so he was sitting her bed and then he chuckled at the sight of a frantic Chloe trying to find all of his things.

"Calm down, sweetheart. Where's the fire?"

Chloe stopped just long enough to glare. Then she grabbed his sneakers off her floor and threw them at him. One hit his arm while the other smacked him square in the chest.

"It's about to be under your ass if you don't get moving. Seriously," she urged impatiently. "You have to go. Last night was a mistake."

Xavier laughed again. "Oh yeah?" he asked, doubtfully, and stepped into his boxers and jeans from the night before. He met Chloe at the foot of her bed and glanced at her chest—covered only by her thin bedsheet. Then he bit his lip and smiled.

"All three times?"

Chloe pushed his chest away and then searched the floor for a shirt. "Xavier, go!"

"Alright, alright. I'm going," he insisted, gathering the last of his things while she pushed him out of her door. He stood in the threshold while Chloe held the door, looking to swing it shut.

"Well I enjoyed our evening together, sweetheart. And I look forward to the next one."

Rolling her eyes, Chloe groaned and then slammed the door shut on him. Alone in her room, she shook her head and scoffed.

"Pig."

"DUE TO SOME FAMILY OBLIGATIONS, Mrs. Layweave had to step away for the day so I will be covering for her today," Damon said when Chloe walked into Potions class. She was running late after her morning with Xavier and she took her seat in the back of the room with Wil Diamond who leaned over to whisper,

"What were you doing last night? Or should I ask who?"

Chloe rolled her eyes and shuffled through her backpack for her textbook.

"You're one to talk," Chloe sassed back. "You never came back last night. I take it your date with Sir Oliver went well?"

Wil shrugged nonchalantly, fighting the urge to smile. "It was good. We had dinner and a walk around his family's compound."

Chloe wriggled her eyebrows suggestively, teasing Wil for more details. "Oh yeah? And then a sleepover at his family's compound?"

Wil was about to answer when up at the front of the room, Damon cleared his throat to get their attention.