~Rewind~

When you lose someone all you want to do is rewind the time, and the most heart breaking thing is knowing that that's impossible.
Disclaimer: the song lyrics in this story are owned by Nathan Sharp (NateWantsToBattle). I do not own them.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not so sure
Can we stop and rewind

The sky overhead begins to weep, as if it's lost the sun. The faint tap as petals and roses land on top, ringing louder than my heart could possibly beat. A part of me knows the tap is barely there, another part can't hear. My heart becomes locked in competition with the roses.

It eats at me all the time

Black silhouettes stand amongst the ghosts of silhouettes past.
Leaning on shoulders, fed up with trying to be strong.
Tears cascading down cheeks, heads tall, lending comfort.
Songs play, as he had wanted. I gasp at air, mourners nearby give a look of pity and shared grief.
Grandfather's dying all over again. They don't know that I'm not gasping because I can't cry, no, I'm gasping because I can't breathe.

My god I'm the bait and the predator's my mind

****

Then you came around

Blue and red streamed across my vision, last week's phone call whispering in my ears. My lungs burned, there was no air. Why? Turning the corner, my body froze. I couldn't will my feet to move before I fell to my knees. Feet thundered pass me, they didn't understand. My head refused to look anywhere. First aid kits on legs rushed passed, one stopped to check I was okay.
"NO!" I screamed, pushing away. No one could help me now, I failed, now everyone else will. The world lost colour, black crept in. It's over for Asnar.

And I felt it breaking

****

Before I flew away

"You can't understand what's it's like, Chalice!" The phone crackled.
"Understand that my job is to keep you safe. If you leave our protection, you'll die." My voice wavered. I couldn't fail, I can't.
"I'm sorry, Chalice, but I will not live my life trapped away. You might as well arrest me, because I will not stay in a house for the rest of my life!"
"Please, stay inside." I can't lose you. He had made his decision and I could never change that.
"I hope you traced the call, Detective. Maybe you can catch them, maybe Steph can live peacefully." Silence. He didn't hang up, he wanted us to find, but not rescue him. And for the first time I understood. He needed to be free.

Kept me happy kept me grounded

****

Ear to ear you kept me smiling

Due to the previous attempt on his life, I spent hours hanging around Mr Gald's house. During that time, Mr Gald and I have become closer. At first it was awkward, uneasy. But gradually he began to warm up to me. He brought out his chess set after I mentioned I used to play when I was at University. I spent hours losing to him but he laughed with sparkles in his eye. I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't my grandfather.

Eye to eye our worlds collided

****

I'm not so sure

"My mother kept me locked in this house, home schooled and only meeting children she approved. For my own safety, of course. You must understand Chalice, She loved me."
"Our country, Asnar, has never been at peace, not for many centuries. These men want to wipe out my bloodline. I have done all I can to protect Steph. Now she sent you to protect me." He laughed and for a second I thought he was my grandfather.

I'm not so sure

****

(Am I worth believing?)
There's more that came before me

I waited for a few moments before a man, 50 years old, hair perfectly groomed, silk shirt and jacket, entered the room. "I assume you're the detective my daughter spoke to?" His eyebrow raised at the question.
"Yes, I'm Detective Chalice. Mr Gald, can you tell me your story?" His eyebrow joined it's twin.

Why aren't you afraid that I'll take a fall?
Now you've got me pinned up against the wall

****

(That's not worth a reading)

As I was driving to Mr Gald's house, I thought about the road he lived on. It sounded vaguely familiar but I couldn't work out why, a weird sense of deja vu. Turning onto Highville Avenue, there were mansions and estates of all sizes laid out with expensive fences. Memories slammed into my mind, I had been here before.
My grandfather's place.

'Cause I'm just another story

****

I don't understand what you see in me

"It's my father." Steph Gald had blurted after introductions. "He's a member of the royal family of Asnar."
" I don't believe I've ever heard of that." Confusion and curiosity danced across my features.
"It's a small country, an independent island in the Pacific. Asnar, has always been in battle. These men will do anything for power. That's how I lost my grandparents." Her head dropped, her voice hitched.
"How can I help?"

When'd I become my own enemy
What am I supposed to find?

"They found him again. I need you to protect him. Please." The emotion, raw in her eyes.

Dents and foot prints I've been pacing

****

Day and night my mind is racing

With my eyes heavy I mindlessly clicked. I was supposed to complete my paperwork, but even with three cups of coffee before noon, it wasn't going to happen. Frustrated, I stood up, tied my wavy amber hair back and left.

I'm scared to chase what I've been dreaming
That I've never had before

Nearing the front doors, I overheard Austin, trying to calm down a woman. From eavesdropping, I discovered that she was concerned about her father. "Hey Austin, what's going on?" I was hesitant to interrupt but knew curiosity would kill me.
"Oh, Detective Chalice! I didn't mean to disturb you but could you help this woman?" He motioned to the distressed woman.
"Of course. If you would like to follow me, we can talk about what's happening."

Reaching out 'cause I want something more

****

Day and night my mind is running