The Mission

I turned to race down the stairs but was stopped when Kaine caught me by my arm, bringing me up short.  "Jordan." He said making me look at him.  "You can't go running down there, you know this." I nodded.  He was right of course.

See, no one except the pirates who live on the island knew that Captain Teague had a daughter.  And he liked to keep it like that.  So every  time he came home, I either had to stay in my room or dress like a boy.  Of course I only dressed like a boy to go down for dinner.  If I talked to my father I didn't have to disguise myself because I would eat with him in his study, which I was never allowed to enter for any other reason.  I ended up dressing like a guy a lot.

I stared past Kaine at the rapidly approaching ship.  It was already almost to the dock.  "Come on." Kaine said.  He led me to my room.  At the door, he stopped and said, "I'll come get you in a bit.  Alright?"  I only nodded.  

Several hours later, I was still in my room.  I had already watched my father's men unload his ship, the Misty Lady.  I also watched him address the pirates that lived on the island on the beach.  I knew what he was saying though.  He was reminding them of the rules.  And the consequences if those rules were broken.  Now, because my dad is so paranoid someone might find out he has a daughter, he made a rule that whenever he comes home, the men that live here aren't allowed to drink or do anything that might get them intoxicated and lead them to spill the beans on my being a girl.  Although I didn't know what the punishment was of breaking that rule.  And I didn't want to find out.  

I was beginning to wonder if I should head downstairs dressed as a guy when my bedroom door opened.  Kaine walked in and said, "Your dad wants to talk to you in his study."  His face was impassive.  As Kaine led me to the study, I began to sweat, and I kept straightening my shirt and vest, and smoothing out the wrinkles in my pants.  I always did this, it was a nervous habit.  When we reached the study,  Kaine opened the door for me and leaned in and whispered "Good luck.  Don't be afraid to ask him." I only gave him a small smile in return.  I walked in.

Kaine shut the door behind me.  I approached the desk at the back of the room.  My father was lounging in the chair, his boots up on the desk.  I stopped in front of it, clasped my hand behind my back, and focused my gaze on his boots.  And I stood there.  You don't speak to Captain Teague unless he speaks to you first.  

I could feel my father staring at me.  His gaze seemed to penetrate deep inside me.  I stood there for several more minutes in silence.  "Hello Jordan." my father said in an even voice.  I breathed a little easier.  "Hello father.  Welcome home." I said, my voice equally measured.  "How are you Jordan?" He asked.  "Very well sir." I said.  "You studies?" He pressed.  "Well.  I work on them six hours a day."  I replied.  He grunted in response.  I couldn't tell if he was pleased or disappointed.  "And the men?" He asked.  "They are all fine father." I said.  He said nothing.  He could have nodded but I was still staring at his boots.  

"Jordan." He said after a moment of silence.  "Yes sir?"  I said.  "I need you to do something for me." he said, his voice losing just a bit of its evenness.  "Anything father." I said.  And I meant it.  Maybe if I did it well, I could ask about leaving.  Another moment of silence.  "I need you to go find Jack."

Well I wasn't expecting that.

"Wait.  What?" That's all I was able to force out.  He had to be drunk already.  Sure it was around noon, but he was a pirate.  Pirates get drunk at any time, day or night.  "Jordan, look at me."  I looked up.  My father's face was lit by the candles on his desk.  The light glinted off the beads and coins in his dreadlocks, and off his large cross earrings.  The top of his head was covered in a large bandanna, and his hat was on the desk, next to his boots, his guitar, his weapons, and a bottle of rum.  His large red coat was hung up on the back of his chair.  And I could just barely see, next to the three belts and sashes he wore and under some folds of his shirt, was the key.  And not just any key.  It was the key to the Code, that sat on a table behind him.  I stared into his eyes.  "I need you to go and find Jack." He repeated.