Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Harry sat in a comfortable chair in the main bedroom of Shell Cottage. It was Sunday afternoon and he was paying his first visit to the new mother and her daughter, his first niece. It had taken a handwritten note from Fleur to get him to make the trip. He had been afraid that his recent illness might prove dangerous to either or both of them. He did however refuse to make any physical contact with the mother and newborn and the first few moments of the visit were a classic display of the immovable object meeting the unstoppable force. They had glared at each other until Fleur gave in since his stance that it was too great a risk of spreading his illness held the moral high ground over her insistence of being given her due in terms of hugs from Harry. 

Fortunately, Fleur wasn't one to hold a grudge and as quickly as the tension had risen it had passed. They were now having a pleasant chat while Ginny helped Bill put together something for them all to eat. Fleur was lying in bed, the baby cradled in her arms, her flowing hair pushed over to one side. Her blue eyes were bright but it was obvious that she was feeling fatigued. Her smile was warm however, full of a mother's love. Harry had a quick flash of an image of another young mother, her hair red instead of silver blonde and with bright green eyes. He wondered how often he had been held like that. His vision began to blur as his eyes began to fill. 

"'arry, what is wrong, mon frere?" 

"I'm sorry, Fleur, nothing wrong, I'm just happy everything went well for you and the baby," he lied, sort of. 

"Do not try to fool me, 'arry. I know you too well. Those are not tears of joy you are tryeeng to hold back." 

He took a deep breath and replied, 

"Alright, I was just looking at you and thinking of how my mum must have looked holding me," he said and shrugged a little. 

Fleur tried to smile back but she too was now having trouble holding back the tears. Harry smiled back a bit and reached out and patted her leg that was under the comforter. This got a bigger smile. Harry realized that in many ways, Fleur was a soul mate. Not in the traditional romantic sense but of a friend so close that she knows what he is feeling before he feels it. 

She looked at him closely and nodded. At that time Bill and Ginny entered the room with trays bearing light snack foods and beverages. Bill sat on the bed and took his daughter gently. The look on his scarred face was one of fascination and wonder. 

"So, how are you two getting on? Victoire seems to be content," Ginny said. 

"She should be," Bill said. "She certainly spent enough time last night being very discontented." 

"Mum said the first days will be the toughest," Ginny replied. 

"Some'ow I theenk we weell survive eet. Nearly everyone does," Fleur said with a smile. "What are you theenkeeng, 'arry?" 

"Hmm, I was just thinking it's hard to believe that she was born on the anniversary of the big battle. It hasn't really been all that long but it seems a lifetime ago," he said quietly. 

"It certainly has been eventful, that's for sure," Ginny replied. 

"When are you going back up to school, Bill?" Harry asked. 

"Not until Tuesday morning. Mum will come back out and spend the rest of the week with Fleur. She's practically floating. Now that she has one grandchild the pressure will be on you two and George and Angelina," Bill said with a laugh. 

"Well, I don't know about that, Bill," Ginny said. "Besides, it's been too much fun practicing." 

Harry went red and Bill and Fleur started to laugh until Victoire started to fuss and they all quieted down, but Fleur was still giggling. They continued to chat for a while longer and it became obvious that Fleur needed to sleep so Bill put the baby in the crib at the foot of the bed and after kissing his wife, led Harry and Ginny out into the living room. They sat down and spent the rest of the afternoon going over the plan for the Quidditch camp.