Boyscouts of the Apocalypse: A Review

By: @mplested
Michell Plested

Twenty-three Chapters
Completed Book
Horror/ Teen Fiction

First off, have you ever tried searching “Apocalypse” on Wattpad? 

If you haven’t and you plan to try it out, make sure you do it with a bottle of Advil in hand. With the innocent strokes of a few keys, you are immediately bombarded by a million and one Apocalypse stories—99% of which are about Zombies. 

So how do you sort through all of those to find one that’s worth your time?

Well, lucky for you, you don’t have to, because I did. 

Somewhere in the middle of going cross-eyed over all the One Direction Zombie fan fics, there was a picture of a boy scout. Not just any Boy Scout, but one spattered in blood, holding a shovel like a weapon.

Enter: Boyscouts of the Apocalypse 

Yes, it’s zombies.

But when you open to the first page of Plested’s novel, you are immediately swept up in all-hells-just-broken-loose-in-the-campground setting. The reader enters the story post-zombie outbreak. Plested does a great job of putting you in the shattered window truck with Mike, the protagonist. From there, she takes the reader on a realistic trip through an actual Boy Scout camp, complete with survival skills and campfire songs. 

After a few chapters, the story picks back up when the boys stumble upon an abandoned car crash at the end of chapter two.

Some numbers for you: 

Spelling/ Grammar: 5/5
Plested has brushed this story with a fine-toothed comb. No comma-spliced headaches here.

Plot: 3.5/5
Ok, it’s about Zombies. But Boy Scouts? For some reason it won me over. Plested gets points for spinning an original idea within something that’s overdone.

Setting: 4/5
As mentioned before, I felt like I was walking in the forest. I can only imagine that those literary skills extend to the rest of the book as well.

Overall Story:

I give it a four out of five. The plot may be well used, but the premise puts a fun spin on it. I felt like I was literally in the middle of this story as I was reading. Zombies may not be your “thing”—or they may be—either way, Boyscouts of the Apocalypse is one to add to your reading list.

Check it out, here:

http://www.wattpad.com/25191655-boyscouts-of-the-apocalypse-chapter-1