31. Evidence for What?

J A S O N ' S    P O V :

It was Monday already, and strangely, I still hadn't received a text back from Kara. Or any text at all. I hadn't been able to go back to sleep that night after the dream, mostly due to Ethan. He demanded we tracked down Amy so that we could be with our mate. If only it was that simple.

I headed into school, hoping to catch a glance of blonde hair and purple highlights, or her black sedan, but I saw nothing. Ethan became quiet and hid from me for the majority of the morning, like how I avoided Evelyn. It was always made into a game of hide and seek when I was with Kara, where we would laugh and talk constantly. Now, all the fun seemed to be drained from it.

Where was she?!

When I entered the lunch room, I had halfway expected to see Kara sitting at her usual table, a small smile tugging at her face as she waited for me to sit next to her. But today, the table was empty, only for a single wrapper or two tossed on it. 

"Jason, baby, come over here!" The most annoying squeal ever pierced my ears and I honestly wanted to claw my ear drums out. I looked over at the table where Caleb, Charlotte, Ryder, Kelly, Phoebe, Tracy and Evelyn sat. One seat remained between Ryder and Evelyn. I begrudgingly headed over and sat down, opening my lunch. 

"Kelly, have you seen Kara today?" Kelly shook her head, and a frown crossed Evelyn's face. 

"Why are you worried about that snob? Don't you want me?" 

I shook my head and gritted my teeth. Looking up, I could see Evelyn and Tracy glaring. Evelyn was searching with her beady eyes for the girl that had stolen my attention, and Tracy glared at Charlotte. Both of them couldn't get over the fact that their "boyfriends" had moved on. Phoebe, on the other hand, was striking up a conversation with both Ryder and Kelly, who appeared to be jealous at first. When she realized Phoebe wouldn't pose as a threat, she joined in a lot more. 

Ethan whimpered, wanting our mate to be with us. Whoever she was, he wanted someone to get possessive over us. Not like Evelyn, a brat who only wanted to be with me for the position, but someone who really loved us.

I sighed.

Looks like that wasn't happening anytime soon.

...

After the dismissal bell rang signalling the end of the school day, I bolted out the door.

"Jason, baby, call me! We can talk out what's going on!" Evelyn cried out as I ran as fast as I could to my Lamborghini. I was going to stop by Kara's house to make sure she was okay. Ethan and I both needed to have the reassurance of that to calm us down.

I punched the gas, going a lot faster than I should have been, but the roads by her house were clear. And with most of the police officers being werewolves, what were they going to do to the future Alpha - arrest me?

As soon as I pulled up outside of Kara's house, I stopped the car and debated what to do next. It looked the same as it had Friday, with the black sedan parked in the garage....

The black sedan!

Unless she was picked up by someone, she was most likely home! I pulled out my phone and quickly rang her number. Looking up into the top bedroom window, I saw a light turn on, and movement, before the call went to voice mail.

She was home, that I was for sure of. Just as I stepped out of the car, however, a black van pulled into the driveway. That was one of the vans used by my pack... and out got to of my father's best trained warriors.

"What are you doing here?" I blurted out before I could stop myself.

"Sorry to disturb you, Alpha, but we have some news."

"Did you really have to interrupt me right now?" Ethan was mostly responsible for the way my voice came out sour at the prospect of not seeing Kara. And after coming this far...

"Sorry Alpha, but we have some information on the wanted wolf."

My eyebrows shot up in surprise. "So, is the wolf in our territory?" I asked curiously.

"Yes, and they are living and most likely attending school around here. One of our top suspects is the girl in this house."

"Girl? I thought the wanted wolf was a guy?"

"No one knows for certain, Alpha. Would you like us to continue a search on this property to gain more evidence?"

At this point, I couldn't hold Ethan back. "No!" He barked, shocking the warriors. "You will not search this house!"

"Do you want to see the folder, Alpha? It has all the evidence if you want to see it."

I grabbed it from them without a reply as I hastily flipped through it. Photos of the house and Kara leaving it were in a jumbled mess in the file. Behind that were documents that appeared forged or fake.

I gritted my teeth. I couldn't let my feelings dictate what happened to the pack, so I sucked up my pride and replied quietly. "I'll present this to my father tonight. Thank you for finding this."

They nodded their head in sync and got back in their car. I headed back to my car and stowed the folder with my things. I looked longingly at Kara's house, I was so close! Fighting my better judgement, I approached the porch and knocked on the door, eager for a reply of any kind.

It opened, revealing Martha, who had a light layer of flour sprinkled on her face and in her hair. "Oh, Jason! What a surprise to see you!"

"Hey, Martha," I said, smiling. "Is Kara home by any chance?"

Martha's face looked torn, like she wanted to tell me but something was holding her back. 

"She is here, but she's sick. I think she caught a cold Friday night..."

Why hadn't I thought of that? Maybe she had been afraid of the sparks when we kissed! Or maybe it was just the fact we kissed in general that had gotten to her.

I knew that the sudden "cold" she had caught was just an act to stay away from everyone. What an idiot I have been!

"That sounds about right," Ethan smirked in my mind. I growled at him and shut him out. 

"Well, I hope she feels better," I said before saying farewell to Martha. Just before the door shut completely, I saw a mess of blond and purple peeking downstairs. 

I smirked to myself as I headed back to my car.

"She just can't resist us," Ethan joked, strutting around.

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah right. In your dreams."

Suddenly, I hoped he'd been right. I hoped that Kara had been wanting to see me as much as I had wanted to see her.

Wait, did I like the human?!

...

Hey guys -

Sorry to leave today on a cliffhanger, but I may update later.

Thank you for all the reads!

We got to 100 over our original goal!

Don't Forget to

READ. VOTE. COMMENT!

-HEXODUS ;1