12. Calm Down and Deal With It

J A S O N ' S P O V :

I was nervous. Since when was an Alpha like me nervous? I was sitting across from that human girl. That's right, human, yet I felt nervous. Despite what her aunt had said to back her up, Ethan didn't want to buy it. I don't know why, I thought that we could change that, but...

Just before our foreheads made contact, Martha called announcing that she had finished preparing our snacks. Not sure what to do, I quickly said "Um... we better get in there I guess." I looked around awkwardly. Kara sent me a confused look. Obviously, she wasn't used to someone radiating as much power as me acting nervous around her.

For some reason although Ethan doubted Kara, he was somehow attracted to her. He cared about her and wanted to know that she was okay. I brushed this off and ignored him as we entered the room. Caleb and Ryder were surprisingly helping out a good amount by making the lemonade. Not something I would really picture two of the highest ranking wolves in the fiercest pack in the nation doing in an afternoon.

After they burst out laughing at something Martha had said, she turned her attention to Kara and I. "Ah, here is the rest of the group. Now why doesn't everybody have some snacks and then we'll get started, okay?" I stood by my two buddies while Kara stood by her aunt.

The homemade cookies that Martha had skillfully baked earlier while she began questioning me. Since when did I go to a witches house to get interrogated? I came to ask her things, not the other way around. "So Jason, will your pa-, I mean love life, include a new girlfriend?" Why did she want to know about Evelyn? What difference did that make?

Before I could get anything out, Kara quickly spoke. "Oh of course he does. Why wouldn't he?" I looked surprised at her sudden outburst and caught her eye. Ethan, for some strange reason, was excited about her jealous comment. Looks like she for some reason was jealous of my relationships. This honestly left me amused.

"Well, it looks like someone is a little more invested in my love life than I had originally thought. Anyway, it honestly doesn't matter right now."

Martha was about to say something back, but got cut off by the door bell. "Oh Kara, would you mind getting that for me?"

Kara immediately nodded, and ran to the door. I don't know where that boldness came from at her last comment. I heard the door open and refocused my attention back to Martha. She had one eyebrow raised and a slight smirk present on her face.

"Do you know what made her ask that?" I asked. She only chuckled and took a sip of her lemonade. She then looked back at me.

"I want to know how your relationship with your mate is actually going."

I let out a small chuckle. "Honestly, Martha, what makes you think I'm going to tell you that?"

She looked out the window and into the distance. "I don't know, Alpha, maybe the fact I do know a thing or two about curing sick connections between mates, or maybe because may have some information on that wanted wolf you're after. I've heard they must've hidden themselves pretty well to stay hidden from you for that long."

How does Martha know something about the rogue? And is my relationship with Evelyn that messed up?

"Evelyn and I are doing fine, thank you very much. Something does seem off about your niece though. It is setting my wolf on edge for some reason..."

"Now I know if I give too much away, Kara will likely have my head... but I know that she and her friend really like you and Caleb. Maybe you could give them a chance, what they have to offer may just surprise you."

"What do you mean 'what they have to offer?' And as alpha I am not just going to go hang out with human girls just because I feel like it." I know I can be stubborn sometimes, but that is purely my wolf talking. If only Ethan could keep his mouth shut for a second...