Prologue: If I Was Your Boyfriend

Disclaimer: This is purely fiction. I don't dislike Selena Gomez or think Justin Bieber is actually gay.

I watched him from afar; my eyes never wavering for a moment. I analyzed each move he made. The precision and grace he used to execute each move still managed to blow my mind. I slowly let my eyes flutter close as I listened to him sing, hanging onto each word. I was completely intoxicated by his presence and I knew I was never coming back from the state of mind I was in. Some people would have called it a schoolboy crush but we both knew this was something much greater. My eyes slowly opened as I heard him stop singing, letting out a deep breath into the microphone.

“Guys, I have someone very special here with me today. I’d like to introduce you to my boyfriend, Zachary.”

In that moment-- I swore my heart stopped for a second, not knowing how to even react. I stood off to the side backstage shaking my head at him. A hand slowly slipped onto my shoulder and I turned around to see Pattie staring back at me with a warm smile.

“Do this, just for him… please? He’s being very brave up there just to please you.” She whispered.

I knew in my heart that she was right; I had to go out there. I mean it was the least I could do in return. I nodded slowly and stepped out from the backstage area, joining him on stage. I could feel my cheeks heating up as I looked out into the cheering crowd, smiling sheepishly as I turned to face Justin.

“I’m so sorry it took me this long…” He mumbled as he cupped my face in his hands.

“I know you were afraid of what people would think… but they still love you, you’re perfect no matter who you love.”

A smile slowly crept onto his rosy lips as he leaned in and pressed his lips gently up against mine. I felt as if the world was moving in slow motion, as if we were the only two in the world. I just wanted to melt into him and forget about everything; Selena, my parents, and the record signing. Suddenly, I was snapped back to reality when I heard a loud pop, this noise was unmistakable. A gunshot.

Out of pure shock I broke the kiss and scanned Justin’s body, my eyes traveling down to his torso where fresh blood was seeping through his shirt. My eyes met Justin’s face again as he mouthed “I love you”, blood pooling out of his mouth as he collapsed into my arms.

“HELP! PLEASE! SOMEBODY! KENNY!”

I held his body close to my chest instinctively, my head buzzing with fearful thoughts. I couldn’t bear to lose him, not now, not like this. I lifted my hand up slowly and smooth his hair back, trying to keep him calm.

“Everything’s going to be okay Justin, I’ve got you. I’m not leaving you, ever. I love you so much.”

I could see his amber brown eyes brimming with tears as I reached up and put his hand over my heart.

“Don’t close your eyes…”

I could feel tears beginning to roll down my cheeks, knowing I couldn’t put on a brave face for the both of us anymore. Justin was my rock, he was usually the one who made things better for me. I pulled my gaze away from his and looked out into the crowd. Girls were running around screaming, but one thing stood out to me, a sinister smile. The last person on earth I wanted to see in this moment was there in the front row, smiling directly at Justin and me.

How could she have possibly done this? Was she really that sick? My stomach was churning as I looked back down at Justin.

“I’m sorry…”

I was surrounded by darkness in an instant.