Chapter 2: The Offer

At this point my mind was buzzing in an effort to process everything. First of all, what the hell was Justin Bieber doing back in Stratford? Secondly, out of all the places he could have gone—why did he come here?  Last but not least, how the hell would he know I would be here? A shrill squeal from behind me interrupted my train of thought.

“Oh my god, I can’t believe that Justin Bieber is standing in my café. Oh my god…” The giddiness in Christian’s tone was less than subtle.

“Hey man, it’s a pleasure to be here. You got a name?”

Christian opened his mouth but the words seemed to fail him in this moment, his eyes gleaming with excitement.

“That’s Christian,” I finally spoke up for my baffled best friend, folding my arms tightly across my chest. I was trying my best to act as if I wasn’t even the slightest bit impressed that I was in the presence of one of the most loved celebrities in the world.

“Nice to meet you Christian, would you mind making me a plain coffee?”

“I can do that!” Without another word, Christian began rushing around behind the counter. It was as if he was a dog and Justin had just told him to fetch the ball. It was almost ridiculous to see the effect that he had on certain people—including my sister. Thank God, Lily wasn’t here or else she would have been on the floor in shock.

“So… Zach, do you have time to talk?”

My eyebrows furrowed together for a moment as I focused my attention back to him, my eyes scanning over his face. Wow, up close it wasn’t too difficult to see why he captured the hearts of the female teenage population. Deciding to shake this thought from my head, I nodded slowly and moved over to sit down on one of the leather couches that filled the café. I took the small opportunity to let my eyes roam down Justin’s body as he sat down, the outlining of his muscles just barely visible through his t-shirt. I may have disliked the guy, but he was definitely gorgeous.

“So, I watched your cover on YouTube and I think you’re amazing. You have a unique sound that I think has a lot of potential. Even though you don’t want to be the next me, I definitely think you could make a name for yourself in the music industry.”

I felt my cheeks begin to flush at the compliment, slowly brining my gaze down to my lap for a moment. I couldn’t help but feel honored to hear something like this from someone who was so praised.

“You really think so?” I slowly bit down on my lower lip, chewing on it in a nervous manner.

“I really do, and if you’ll look past the whole stuck up celebrity thing—I would love to fly you out to Los Angeles for a while and introduce you to the right people. Again, it’s totally up to you.”

Meet the right people? This was the moment I had been waiting for my entire life, the moment I could leave this little town behind and work on my pursuing my dream as a musician. I was almost tempted to reach out and give my arm a pinch just to make sure that I wasn’t still asleep in my bed. Things like this just don’t happen to small town boys who aren’t even noticed at their own high school, they just don’t. I slowly let out a deep breath, apparently audible enough for Justin to hear.

“I know it’s a lot to take in…”

“Yeah, it really is… but I need to talk this over with my mom and…”

Justin quickly cut me off before I could continue my sentence, “Take all the time that you need. I don’t wanna rush you and force you into something, Zach. I just think that this could be a really big opportunity for you. I mean—you saw how they reacted to your YouTube video. Imagine having a concert, fans, and having the chance for your talent to finally be recognized.”

Before I could even open my mouth to respond, I felt a hard object collide with my back.

“I made coffee for the both of you!” Christian exclaimed, his trademark cocky grin playing on his lips.

“Thanks bro,” Justin responded, taking the cup off of the green tray with a nod of thanks.

I slowly reached out and took the cup that was sitting on the tray, lifting up to my lips to take a small sip. While I wasn’t usually a fan of the stuff, I needed a good caffeine boost and this no doubt would do the trick. As I set the cup down on the small oak table in front of us, an idea popped into my head. Before I could even thoroughly process it, the words came tumbling out of my mouth.

“Would you like to come to my house for dinner tonight?”

For a moment, Justin just sat there and stared at me with a skeptical look upon his face. It was almost as if he thought I was joking. The corners of his lips slowly turned upwards into a smile as he nodded, “That would be… great…”

“I figured that you might be able to sweet talk my parents into letting me go, since everyone adores you.” I gave my eyelashes a bat in a teasing manner, letting out a small chuckle.

That smile that seemed to light up the whole café quickly disappeared from Justin’s face, a solemn look appearing in its place. “Not everyone… not you,” He slowly began to rub his neck in a nervous manner. “Trust me. Being a celebrity does have its perks but it also has its downsides… you’ll learn that quickly.”

There was a small twinge of guilt inside of me as I stared at him. I never even bothered to consider the bad things that he had to deal with day to day. I had seen a few harsh comments on my Youtube video, yet I couldn’t even begin to imagine all the bullshit that he had to put up with.

I quickly cleared my throat in order to clear the air between us, “Right… well… if you give me your number I can text you my address and the time that dinner will be ready?”

Any traces of sadness seemed to quickly disappear from Justin’s face in an instant.  He quickly licked his lips before a smirk spread across his face, “You know, usually its girls asking for my number. This is different.”

“It’s better, isn’t it?” I teased, crinkling my nose slightly.

Justin simply chuckled in reply as he stretched his open hand out towards me, “Phone please,”

I stared down at his open palm for a moment before reaching into the pocket of my jeans and pulling out my phone. My hand slowly wavered over his before slipping my phone into his grasp. With a few taps he returned my phone back to me and sluggishly rose from the couch.

“Well, I need to get back to my grandparents’ house or else they will start to worry about me. I’ll see you around, Zach.”

He flashed me one last grin before pulling the hood on his jacket up and heading for the door. Once he left, Christian swooned slightly and moved to sit beside me on the couch.

“Dude, I think he was into you. Do you know how fucking lucky you are?”

“What? Are you high or something? Justin isn’t gay—despite what the trolls on the internet may say. Besides, he’s dating Selena Gomez.”

“Really? Have you been living underneath a rock? She kicked him to the curb a while ago.”

I let out a small chuckle as I shook my head, “Whatever, he’s still not into me. I don’t know what led you to believe that.”

Or was he?