Second To Your Job

Michael's POV

I'm so glad Rayne and I got that stuff with Maria straightened up. Luckily, she didn't do as much damage as she intended to my image. I just wish I could say the same for my marriage.

Rayne didn't trust me and I can't blame Maria for that. That was my fault.. I honestly thought that incident would never come out. I wanted that to be something I took to the grave. But now that it's out, its something I've gotta deal with.

I sat in the studio continuing working on what I hoped to be my last album. After this, I was prepared to retire for good. No more albums, no more tours, no more public appearances, just me, my wife and kids. Rayne and the kids were out at the New York Zoo with Leon, while I stayed in to record.

I knew they weren't missing me because my phone hasn't rang once all day. I've surprisingly gotten a lot of work done. I was kind of upset... "Wayne, has Camille or Rayne called? Or even Leon?" I ask, heading down the hallway from the bathroom to the engineering booth.

"Nope. The phone has been bone dry all day, Michael." He responds, checking the home screen.

I sigh, "I'm not used to this.."

"Miss your kids?" Wayne grins.

"Sorta." I smirk back with a shrug. "It like they don't even think of me when they're with their mom."

"They only went to the zoo." Wayne laughs. "Do you wanna call them?"

I hesitate, the fact that Camille hasn't called is a slight success story. She's always been very clingy with me and it's starting to wear off. But at the same time, she's my baby girl, my first born kid! I want her to be clingy with me. "Yeah.."

He dials Rayne's cell, before handing the phone to me. "Hey babe..." she answered nonchalantly

"Do you guys not even miss me?" I whine.

"What are you talking about?" She sighs.

"I'm talking about the fact I haven't heard from any of you guys since we all left the hotel this morning." I say with a slight whine.

"Well, I figured you wanted to work so we didn't wanna bother you Mike.."

I huff a little, "Camille didn't wanna talk?" I ask.

"No.. she's in the petting zoo. Why don't you just end your studio session and meet us here."

I groan, "You know I can't. I have to be here. I just miss having you guys in the studio, I guess."

"Well we can't have the kids holed up in the studio the entire time we're here.. they need to get out and have fun.. how's the album going?"

My eyes widen, I was surprised she was continuing the conversation with me. We hadn't really spoken to each other because she's been so upset with me.

"I wish I could snap my fingers and I'd be done. I should probably get back to it." I groan, "but that wasn't saying I wanted to get off the phone!" I add quickly.

"Oh.. how will you work with me on the line?"

"We can figure it out." I stammer, knowing how ridiculous that sounded.

She gives a light giggle, allowing me to enjoy her warm personality I hadn't seen in a while, before swiftly saying goodbye.