I'll Sign If You Sign It

Michael's POV

I met up with my longtime friend, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, in the studio in New York. He and I had worked together on a few projects back in the 90's in my dangerous days, but I hadn't spoken to him since the release. He greets me with a warm handshake and a pat on the back before motioning me to sit in the chair opposite him.

"Mike I was so glad to hear from you. After our last project I wasn't sure how things were gonna go.. especially after the allegations and.. y'know?" He says. "How's the daughter?" He adds.

"She's good! 8 years old... She's just like her mom now" I chuckle. "I actually had a son last year too... my little Jr." I grin.

"Oh wow, congratulations.. I can't believe baby girl is 8! Haven't seen her since she was maybe 2? Time flies.." he says shaking his head in recollection. "How's Rayne? The paparazzi manage to miss her. I haven't seen her on the cover of any tabloids in a long time." He chuckles, hitting my knee.

I chuckle back, "she's well.." I sigh not wanting to reveal our marital problems. I changed the subject swiftly to move to the real reason we were here. I head over to the piano in the booth, signaling with my hand for Kenny to follow me. "Ok, so I want to start recording this song I've been writing for a few weeks. It's a real soft melody, an ode to my wife and kids.." I explain beginning to play the tune of a song I titled "You Are My Life".

After letting him know what I wanted and expected of the record, he and I practically shot into overdrive with the production of my new ballad.

"Sorry to interrupt Boss.. Phone call." Wayne explains, peeking inside, his cellphone outstretched for me to grab.

"Let them know I'll call them back please.." I wave off, my eyes never leaving the soundboard.

"It's Camille." He adds.

I sigh, ever since I gave her this emergency cellphone for 3rd grade she's been using my number as her test subject to make sure things work properly. Grabbing the phone, I stand outside the booth, signaling Kenny for a quick minute. "Hey baby girl, daddy's working what's up?" I say in my softest tone.

"I need your help." She says sweetly

"With?"

"A turkey card.. I'm making one for mommy from Mikey and I, but I can't remember mommy's favorite color.."

"What's a turkey card?" I frown.

"A Thanksgiving Card.. I traced his hand next to mine to make a turkey. But I wanted to color it her favorite color."

I nod, chuckling at how adorable that was. "Her favorite color is Yellow. But baby girl I'm working, and if you want me to make it home by Thanksgiving and take you to grandma this weekend, you have to let me work.. I'll call you and Mikey tonight ok?"

"Ok! Bye daddy." She hangs up with a loud click. I enter the booth with a smile, "sorry."

"Daddy duties call...lets start from the top." Kenny says.

***

My hotel room was quiet and empty, it was nothing like my Vegas hotel suite that was kept perfectly for me. I even left some of my belongings there. I scroll through my contacts as I prepared to call my kids before they went to bed, I ended up stopping on Rayne's cell number for a moment, contemplating hitting the button to dial. I couldn't get out my head the image of her in tears, the fact I didn't do anything about it is eating away at me. I scroll to Janet's name and hit dial.