Chapter 2

I remember looking around to see I was too far away to be able to hear what Anthony was saying, even if he was shouting. So normal? Not for a she wolf. I focused on him and then I could see every detail of him. As if I was zooming in on him through a camera lens.  The way he wrinkled his nose as if he smelled an unbearable, bad odour. And then I heard him say: "Why in the name of all things good did I have to defend her. All I need is an annoying bitch who worships me."  I heard this, but his mouth was not moving.

"Good morning, class" Mr Krantz bought me back to the here and now. I could not shake the anxiety and I tried to concentrate on the lesson. Why am I aware of the fact that he is to close for my liking? I like my space. He never gets near me. Why today?

The lesson was already half way when there was a knock on the door and in walked a boy. The females in the class gasped and whispers went through the class like a wave.

“Wow! I so hope he is available…”

“Those eyes, but no connection! Damn…”

I blocked them out and did not look up from my work, too into the sum I wait was trying to solve.

 "Class this is Josh Grey. Is there anything you would like to say about yourself, Josh?"

 "Not at the moment, thank you sir." The moment I heard his voice I felt shivers going down my spine, which was very confusing. You can only feel sparks or shivers after you phased and this was really odd.

 "Then you may take a seat and open your book on page 5."

 It took all of my will power to not look up. I felt him coming closer and heard the chair next to Anthony moving. Crap! I am such a cluts. I reached down to pick up my book when Anthony touched my hand by accident and very cold sparks, like needles and pins, run up my arm. It was not hurting at all, but strange all the same. I took my notebook, acting as natural as possible. I knew he felt it too by the way he was rubbing his hand.

 Just then the bell rang.  I quickly packed my things in my bag. I needed to get out of here.

 "Um, excuse me. You dropped this." Looking up from the floor, I saw an outstretched hand holding my pencil.

 "Thank, you," I mumbled, taking it and turned to walk out.  I felt him keeping up with me. I was really confused by now. The shivers every time I heard Josh’s voice and the peculiar sparks when Anthony touched me by accident.

 "Hi. You know my name is Josh, but I don't know who you are?"

 "I'm going to be late for my class."

 "Well, 'I'm-going-to-be-late-for-my-class' could you please tell me where I can locate room A12?"

 Oh, no! He just had to have English next!

 "It so happens that that is my next class too Josh-who-is-to-clever-for-his-own-good."

 "Well, that is good news. Would you mind if I walk with you."

 "I can't stop you. All I can tell you is that if you know what is good for you, you will pretend not to walk with me and stop talking to me."

 “And why would I do that?"

 I took a deep breath, smelling them, I said softly: "Consider yourself warned."

 Just then Paul and his gang walked around the corner. "If it isn't the Zit of the school.  Did she find a friend?" And all his friends snorted and started laughing.

 "Buzz off, Paul! You know you're my only ....."

 "I am nothing of you," he growled at me.  I would never make the mistake of mentioning we were family in public again. I remembered all too well what happened the last time I did.

"Take your filthy self and get lost." He said the last part for only me to hear.

He turned to Josh. "What are you looking at bud? Remember: You are known by the company you keep." He bumped Josh with his shoulder and grabbed it right after the bump. With a frown he rubbed it and glared in Josh's direction.

 "Come on, Josh. They are not worth getting into trouble on your first day of school. I will show you your next class, but after that you are on your own. Look for someone else to show you around."

 "Only if you tell me your name."

 "Fine. I am Zee"

 "Just Zee?"

 "That's all you asked for. Here is our class." And then I whispered: "Now let me be, please."