Chapter 1 - Finding a new flat mate

Deep breaths, deep breaths, you thought as you were about to knock on the door of hopefully would be your new home. Hopefully. I say hopefully because the ad wasn't at all welcoming and you had to be simply mad to think otherwise. Surely this person couldn't be serious? "I don't eat and sleep for says on end." Were they anorexic? Or did they have severe insomnia? You honestly didn't know but you decided that you could bear with violin playing in the middle of the night if you only had to pay half the rent for such a lovely apartment such as this.

"Knock, knock, knock," you practically slammed the door knocker down on the door. The doorbell seemed to be ripped off of the wall beside you so you felt that the door knocker would be the next best option. It wasn't long until a lovely old woman opened the door to you, you assumed that this was the one that placed the advertisement for the room.

"Hello, I'm here to inquire about the flat share?" You asked politely, holding out a hand for her to shake, "my name is _____ _____ by the way."

"Mrs Hudson," the woman replied, "and yes, if you'd like to make your way upstairs I'm sure Sherlock would be happy to fill you in on the details." She opened the door wider and you stepped in, "first floor derie, right up there."

"Right, yes," you said, trying to keep your composure, you didn't usually get nervous from meetings such as these, you've had many in the past and yet, it seemed different somehow. You shrugged it off and twisted the door handle to reveal a very lived in living room with a, what seemed to be, kitchen with experiments all over the table.

"Hello?" You called out, your voice echoing in the almost empty apartment, "I'm here about the ad for a flat mate, is anyone there?"

You heard a klunk and then a couple of thumps before the far door opened to reveal a man in a white sheet looking very ruffled and sleepy."Good morning," he murmured as he went to make a cup of tea, "would you like a drink?"

"Ah, uh...yes, yes please..." You trailed off, a little shocked by the sight before you, he on the other hand seemed completely relaxed as if this were typically normal for people you've just met.

The kettle boiled after a few moments of a very very awkward silence, for you at least, you weren't entirely sure if the man in front of you was all there or not. He proceeded to pour two cups of tea with milk, "sugar?"

"Ah no, thank you very much," you said as he proceeded to nearly pile the whole packet of sugar into his own cup.

"Sit down," he directed finally looking up to see you, "I'll get dressed."

You obeyed quickly going to sit in the very comfy looking chair that was opposite the window and another less comfy looking other chair with a violin upon it. "Well that explains the violin warning," you said quietly as you saw that this instrument was very very well played but not at all in bad shape, it seemed to also be very well looked after. You took a sip of your tea quietly, inspecting the apartment with a little more detail, there was a smiley face spray painted on one wall with bullet holes in it, next to that seemed to be notes, papers and pictures all stuck together. You stood up to have a look a little more closely. It looked like someone was investigating a crime.

"Consulting detective," you heard from a voice behind you. You turned on your heel to find what you thought was the same man as before but you couldn't be exactly sure. He seemed so smart and, well...clean now. It wasn't until the that you registered that he had started to speak again, "I'm a consulting detective, only one in the world," he looked at your confused expression and started to explain, little did he know that your expression wasn't about his job but more rather about him, "it means that when the police are out of their depth, which is always, they consult me and get me to solve their cases for them. Sometimes I take on cases without their input though, people come to me before the police often." He paused and looked over to you as he was now standing on the back of the sofa, scanning the case he was currently working on, "why are you wearing that expression?"

It was then that you realised that your mouth was open and you were a matter of fact staring, "sorry, I just...I'm not used to people talking to me so casually," you said in awe.

"And why is that?" His eyes narrowed as if he were trying to figure you out, like a puzzle but couldn't quite get the pieces to fit.

"No reason," you said abruptly, you nearly let that one slip, you would have. To be much much more careful next time if you wanted a normal life, one away from work this time.

"Hmmm, so..." He said turning back to the wall, his eyes darting about the place, "what about it?"

"What about what?" You asked, still dazed and a little forgetful.

He turned to you again but this time stepping off the sofa completely to tower over you, well not that much, he seemed to look taller further away, "would you like to be my flat mate?"

"I...uh...um, I don't even know your name!" You said suddenly, surely you would have to introduce each other before you started living together.

"Neither do I know yours, the name is Sherlock Holmes. And yours...?" He raised an eyebrow expectantly, waiting for you to reply.

"Oh, um, ____ ____," you said hurriedly.

"I assume it's a yes then."

"Yes."

"See you tomorrow then, move in as soon as possible. It so we can pay our rent to Mrs Hudson on time, is that good for you?"

"Ah yes, I'll see you then," you said before setting your now cold tea on the coffee table, "goodbye Mr Holmes." And with that, you left.

"Strange," he thought after he heard the front door click behind you, "why couldn't I read anything from them?" He brushed it off for later and continued to work.