Chapter 10

Alyss’s P.O.V

I walked slowly down the hill to my house; I could feel Luke’s eyes on my back the whole way down, until I walked out of his sight. It hurt me more than anything to think of Jenna as dead, but what I wanted to know was why she had done it? I know there was that one time we had to catch my dog and she freaked on both of us, but mainly Jenna, so I punched in the face. She let it drop after I threatened her, but she always went out of her way to hurt Jenna in some way.

I was nearly to my front door when I realized how easy it would’ve been for her to kill Jenna. Just a little swerve to the right, and Jenna would be hit and most likely dead. It was horrible to think that way and I felt even closer to tears at that moment. Suddenly I wanted to run back up the hill and, for some reason, right back into Luke’s arms.

I shook my head and walked up the porch stairs opening the door. I was greeted by Annie as she flung herself out the door and she almost went flying off the porch just because she was happy to see me. I reached down and gently rubbed her soft ears as she shook her butt. I couldn’t help but smiling at her, she was the last thing my dad ever gave me. I sighed and went inside the house with Annie racing around my feet.

“I’m home.” I managed weakly and walked into the kitchen. I found a note on the counter top from my mom saying she had to go out to a meeting today and that I was home alone for a while. I sighed again and went up to my room; Annie happily followed me and made herself at home on my bed. I didn’t feel like doing anything, well I did feel like curling up in a ball and dying, but that didn’t sound like a good idea.

Instead I took a shower hoping the hot water would make me feel better. It didn’t do much, but it did help me think better, helped me clear my mind. I knew I could make it through this, but not alone and not with my friends. They hadn’t really been there all that much for me anyway. Jenna always had been there, and now that I thought about it, it seemed like it was about time for me to find new friends.

Then I remembered Luke. I knew he could help me with this, he said so himself hadn’t he? I sighed again before blow drying my hair completely and putting it up in a ponytail. I washed my face in ice-cold water afterwards and went to get on Facebook. I didn’t like what I saw.

All of my friends had posted something about Jenna and me bailing on them. I was so furious all my sorrow left me in an instant. Tomorrow was Friday, I was going to school, and I was going teach them all a lesson. I quickly packed up my things and logged off of Facebook before anyone could try talking to me. I walked over to my bed and threw myself onto it; I nearly fell on top of Annie in the process. I didn’t cry that night, I just kept thinking about what I was about to do the next day. I smiled then thinking of all the anger I could get out of me.

Then something hit me hard. I jumped up and ran to the nearest phone calling Jenna’s home number. It rang three times before her mom answered.

“Alyss is something wrong?” She asked groggily, her voice sounded raw and full of sorrow.

“Well I have a quick question for you,” I didn’t wait for her to answer me. “Do you know where the ring that Jenna always wears is?”

She paused for a minute before slowly answering. “No it wasn’t there, and it wasn’t in her room either. Did you take?”

“No I thought you had it, I know she wants it buried with her though.”

“Could it be possible that someone took it?”

“Yes, and I think I know who. Thanks Nancy.” I said before hanging up the phone. I sighed as I walked up the stairs to my room. Annie looked down at me from the top stair, and then ran into my room making herself at home on my bed. I knew that if I could find Jenna’s ring, I could find her murderer easily. The first place to look was in Ms. Evans car and then her house. Surprisingly I fell asleep easily, I hadn’t even cried at all tonight.