Chapter Five

• Dedicated to thebdoral

I stepped out into the cool afternoon air, turning to lock the door to the shop behind me. As I turned back around I stopped abruptly when I saw a sleek black H2 limousine waiting for me. These people certainly were pulling out all the stops. They must have a spell that grants them the Midas touch or something. After everything that had happened I had forgotten about the Council asking me to come see them again. Well, I suppose I might as well do what they want. But it has nothing to do with the limo… maybe. I reached for the door when a man jumped out of the front yelling

“Hold on, sir, let me get that for you!” I scoffed,

“I’m not made of glass like the corporate bruisers you’re used to,” I told him, opening the door for myself.

************************************************************************

Walking into the office once more, I looked around thinking once more about how rich these people must be. I’m not a greedy person, but money is always good. Especially if you run a flower shop. I stepped up to the reception desk once more, opening my mouth to announce I was here.

“Mr. Machlis, on time for once. Please go in.” Geez this woman must really have a thing for me, the way she gets so happy when I’m around…

“I’ve only been here twice and I’ve only been late once.” I told her.

“Fifty percent tardiness is not a good statistic to have on your record, Mr. Machlis.” I blinked. Then I blinked again. Walking through the door to the office I looked around to see only the one man I had talked to most sitting at the table.

“Ah, welcome Cameron. Glad you could make it!” He smiled at me.

“Thanks Mr… I don’t remember your name” I apologized. He smiled again,

“That’s because I haven’t told you my name!” He chided me.

“Oh, well that would explain it. So.. are you going to… you know… tell me?” I asked, kinda wondering if this man had some sort of mental illness or something.

“My name is Brashneg Otario Brishtapitalio,” He smiled again, “but everyone calls me Bob for short.”

“Uh,” I muttered, “I can see why.” I said a little louder

“Well hello Bob, thanks for having me. Now can we get down to business?”

“Of course. I take it by your being here that you have decided to take us up on our offer?” he questioned me.

“Yes, I have. I think it to be the best thing for myself and others. When do I start my training?” He smirked,

“You should not be so eager. You may find you don’t like training all that much. Your training starts Friday, and we are calling in the best sorcerers in every genre from all over the world. This should be fun!”

“You start out with saying I’m not going to like it, then you end with ‘this should be fun’. Not sure how scare I should be exactly.” I stated, starting to worry a little now.

“It won’t be that bad. Just intense. And hard. And different than anything you’ve ever done before. And… interesting. I look forward to observing your progress.”

“Well seeing as though you’re so extremely optimistic I am really starting to look forward to this!” I replied sarcastically.

“Cameron, don’t worry. It will be very rewarding.” He said, now trying to placate me.

“Fine. So, when does my lock get removed?”

“We will remove it piece by piece during your training as you learn to master the power you will be handling. We think this the best way so you don’t get overwhelmed.”

“Well, sounds like fun. I guess.” I said, trying to act like I wasn’t excited, “See you Friday?”

Yes Cameron, see you Friday. Limo arrives at 9 don’t be late. Linda doesn’t like tardiness.”

“Oh, doesn’t she? I hadn’t noticed. I thought she was just always so happy.” I said sarcastically. Bob chuckled,

“She is always a grumpy little snob. It’s nothing personal. Don’t worry about it.” I laughed,

“That is awesome. I’m starting to like you.”

“Starting? Come Cameron, I’ve liked you for almost 30 years.”

“That doesn’t sound weird at all. Well, see ya Friday Bob.”

“Until Friday my friend. Limo is outside.”

************************************************************************

Sitting in my house eating dinner, I texted Derik and told him I was going on vacation for about 2 weeks starting Friday.

“Ooo where you going? Can I come?” He replied.

“I’m going to Nunya, Business USA. And no you can‘t come” I told him.

“You eloping with someone??” Came the reply a few minutes later.

“Don’t be ridiculous you know I don’t have a cat” I replied.

“Yeah yeah very funny. You’re hilarious. We still on for Wednesday?” He asked.

“Yup, see you then.” I said.

“Aight, later man.”

************************************************************************

The rest of the week I could have sworn someone put a sign on the door of my shop saying “We have lice!” because that’s about the amount of business I got. Between that and the suspense of what was coming my week passed like a turtle on depressants.

************************************************************************

Friday finally came what seemed like months later, but in reality it was only one day after Thursday. Imagine that.

************************************************************************

I woke up on Friday to dog poop on my bed, what a wonderful start to this adventure.