Chapter Two

I blinked as the morning rays hit my eyes, squinting as I strained to see the clock. Good, I thought only 7:30 I have an hour and a half to get to the Council meeting. I headed to the kitchen to make some breakfast. As I got the eggs out of the fridge I grabbed my phone to check messages. I almost dropped the eggs as I saw the time,

8:30

Oh no! I had forgotten about the time change. I swear its pointless and the only reason they even do it is to throw me off. If I was late for the meeting the Council would have my head. I threw the eggs back in the fridge and ran to get dressed, groaning when I realized I didn’t have time to call a taxi and would have to ride my Harley all the way in 50 degree weather.

*********************************************************************************************************

I pulled into the parking garage, grabbed my ticket and whipped into a parking space. I got off my bike and started running, teeth chattering and knees clinking together. I glanced at my watch and gritted my teeth,

“Only five minutes.” I groaned as I started running faster.

*********************************************************************************************************

I pulled open the door and went straight to the receptionist.

“Cameron Machlis,” I panted, “here to see the Council.” She looked up at me over her horn-rimmed glasses.

“Mr. Machlis, right through there. They are waiting for you.” She reproved, pointing to the open door behind her.

“Yeah, thanks for the encouragement,” I mumbled under my breath, heading for the door.

“Hi…” I said as I cautiously walked through the door.

“Ah, Cameron, we were beginning to think you had forgotten us. Please shut the door and take a seat,” said the man sitting at the head of the table. I complied, taking the open chair.

“No sir, I wouldn’t miss this for the world. I must admit I am curious as to why I have been called to a Council meeting,” I said, trying to get comfortable.

“Although I am very honored to be here,” I added quickly. The man smiled,

“All in due time. You young people are so impatient. First, I must tell you a story.”

“Okay…” I said, quite confused now as I didn’t remember signing up for story time.

“It started many years ago… back when I was a new addition to the council. A baby was born, and with him came a prophesy. The prophecy stated that if the baby grew to full maturity, he would save the world from a great evil. So the Council had to figure out how to keep the baby safe from the evils of the world until such a time as his full maturity was reached. So the Council had a decision to make; should we take the baby under our own wing, and raise him as ours, or send him to a foster family as a normal child. We decided it would be best to have the child be invisible to any enemies that may want to hurt him, and so we put a lock on his abilities. This lock prohibited the young wizard from using more than a fraction of his power, and limited his skills to only those spells of non-violence. This way anyone scanning him would only detect a fraction of the power that was actually there, and deem him to not be a threat. Also, if the child were to come into his powers, he would not be able to hurt himself or anyone around him. Almost thirty years have passed since this decision was made, and the child has finally reached full maturity and is ready for the lock to be taken off so he can complete his training and destroy this threat, which has recently revealed itself.”

I sat back, confused as to why he was telling me this.

“So, what, you want my help finding him or something? I don’t understand how this pertains to me.” The old man smiled kindly at me,

“Because,” he said, “you are that child.”