Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Ariana’s POV

Last night, I finished all of my homework after the few minutes of just lying there and then went with Mom to the store where we picked out three Victorian-style-floral cushions that fit the window seat perfectly and matched the room perfectly as well. I tossed and turned all night again, not able to get everything that’s been confusing me out of my head. I rolled out of bed still exhausted, showered, did my hair like yesterday, and picked a pale pink sweater, black leggings, and black heeled ankle boots out of my closet. I’d been too scared to wear heels yesterday in case no one else did, but they did and it would help the fact that everyone towered over me.

I put all of my books into my bag and walked out to the kitchen. It wasn’t the first day anymore, so it was a normal day and Mom had set out bowls and cereal boxes.

“Morning Mom,” I greeted, sliding into a seat and pouring Cocoa Puffs into a bowl until she caught the box from me and I couldn’t pour anymore. She laughed quietly at how much cereal I had as I poured almond milk over it-- which I liked much better than regular milk.

Frankie stumbled out into the kitchen/dining room already dressed as he had been yesterday, and attempting to look happier. To my relief, dinner had gone uneventfully last night and Mom made lasagna (one of my favorites.) He poured himself a bowl of Lucky Charms and took five bites hungrily before saying: “Morning Mom, morning Ari.”

“I nearly forgot!” Mom rose from her seat and began rummaging through a shelf built into the counter. She produced two boxes of the same size and a plastic shopping bag. “It didn’t occur to me to check the mail until after you two were asleep; the school sent the tablets you’ll need for classes.” Setting the bag down on the counter, she placed a box in front of each of us and cleared the now empty cereal bowls.

The package was addressed to ‘Ms. Ariana Grande-Butera’ and I didn’t waste a second before tearing the lid open. There were lots-- and I mean lots-- of packing peanuts and the iPad lay in the middle.

“Woah,” I said, turning it over in my hands. It was lighter than I imagined, and I could see every detail of my reflection in the screen.

“I remembered cases for you two since after school Frankie’s being taken over by dance classes again,” Mom pulled them out of the plastic bag and sat back in her chair, watching our reactions like kids on Christmas. I ripped the case out of the packaging, immediately loving it. It was a rubber teddy bear like on my phone, this one a pale pink.

“Thank you, Mom!” I exclaimed. After putting the case onto my iPad, I skipped back to my room with a much improved mood and did the tiny amount of makeup like yesterday, then brushed my teeth and hurried back out so we wouldn’t miss the bus.

I walked with my iPad in hand and my bag on my shoulder so I could change the background on it on the bus ride. Frankie walked already doing that to the bus stop, leaning against the wall away from everyone else. I worried, realizing that I hadn’t seen him talking to anyone on the bus ride home yesterday. Was he making friends yet? My confusing problem now felt ridiculous; at least I had made that many new friends already. When Nathan arrived at the bus stop, he didn’t come up to talk to me like yesterday. I tried to wave, but he just stood with his back turned to everyone.

“Hey,” A bright, Australian voice broke me out of my thoughts. “Do you realize that your iPad case is the exact same color as your sweater?” Jai asked, poking the bear’s nose.

I looked down and realized that he was right. “Oh, no I didn’t.” I laughed. They really were the exact same shade of pink.

“Are you liking the new school okay?” Jai asked, pulling absentmindedly on the strap on his watch.