|chapter 9|

"Who the hell are you?!" I shouted as Brandon hopped into the driver's side door. He quickly turned the key and in an instant, the engine revved. There was no reply. "Brandon!"

"What?" he exclaimed, backing out of the parking space. Shifting the gears, he pushed down on the gas pedal, causing the car to lurch forward towards the road leading to the main road.

"What just happened? How did you find me? How did you know I was in trouble? Where is Cas-"

"Willa, I can explain everything, but I just need you to calm down." That was the most absurd thing I had heard that entire year.

"Calm down?" I growled. "Calm down?! Maybe I would if I didn't feel like I was in a Mustang with a God damn murderer!"

"I can't explain it right now, but once we get to where we are heading, I can," he said as he directed the car onto the main road. The steering wheel turned to the right, causing the entire car to go in the same direction.

"No way," I argued. "There is no way that I'm going anywhere with you. I don't even know who you are anymore!"

"I just saved you from them and now you're yelling at me? That doesn't make any sense!" he countered.

"Sure you saved me, but that doesn't mean you won't end up killing me!" I retorted.

"Why would I have even bothered to help you if I was just going to kill you later?" That shut me up. His logic was right. There was no way that he would have even tried to save me if he was going to kill me in the end. "Exactly. So just calm down and once we get there, I can explain everything." After that, we sat in silence. I stared out the window and watched the trees in the forest we were driving through pass by. As much as I did want to know where we were going, I didn't want to know. It was a complicated feeling. I wanted to find out what was going on, but I didn't want to get myself into something that I couldn't get out of. Soon, after about twenty minutes, we approached a place I didn't expect: a graveyard.

"Brandon..." I said, sitting up.

"What?"

"Why are we in a graveyard?"

"Don't worry about it. You'll find out." Slowly, we turned into the driveway. Of all of the places in the world, why would he bring me to a graveyard? It only took about a minute to arrive where he wanted. "So, I want to say something before I show you what I'm about to show you. You need to just stay calm and I will try to answer any question you have to the best of my ability. Okay?" I nodded. "Alright. Just follow me." He turned the car off, stuffed the keys in his pocket, and opened his door. Taking a quiet deep breath, I pulled the handle of my door and pushed the door out. Time to face the truth. My shoes reached the grass and I slammed the door shut. Once I caught up to him, he stopped. We had reached one of the newer tombstones. Dead daffodils were sitting on the top of it, as if they were meant to act as a metaphor for life. "This is it." My eyebrows furrowed, and I looked up at him.

"What's so special about this one?" I questioned. There hadn't been anything remotely different about it. The only reply were sad, chocolate-colored eyes staring back down at me. I glanced back down at the headstone to give it a closer look, and when I finally found what he was trying to show me, I gasped. The name on the headstone. There was no way that could be possible.

Brandon Flowers.

~~~~~~~~~~~

AN: hello everyone! so nice to be updating again. over the last week, i have missed how relieving it was. i don't know why, but it just gives me anxiety when i don't update for more than a week. anyway, i know it's short, and it's like that for a reason. i kinda wanted to get the scene set for the next chapter. so stay tuned :) since we got a couple of votes and comments for the last chapter, can we do that again? i would appreciate it very much!

(NOTE: if you haven't noticed already, there is another story up called "Change of Heart". it is a Walking Dead fanfic so if you like that show, i would suggest putting it in your library! it's coming soon; the prologue is currently being written.)