Chapter 39- The Price of Boredom

Millie's POV

-------------

Emily's here.

She has a very distinct smell- just like Sherlock smells of tobacco and musk, and John smells like aftershave and fabric conditioner- Emily's smells sharp and sweet and, recently, of mint. I close the door softly behind me, and ascend the stairs, listening to the hum of voices above me.

"And you have no idea where she is?"

"No, sorry. I came straight over from my place. What happened?"

I open the door.

"Millie!"

I nod at Sherlock and smile at Emily, before  walking over to John, taking a steadying breath inwards-

"John, listen- I'm sorry I spoke to you like that. I understand your concern, but, although I shouldn't have voiced my thoughts like that, you have to understand that I'm more than capable of looking after myself. Remember last year? I'm pretty good at self defence-" I say, grinning at him fleetingly, "And I've had some time to think, to get myself under control."

Relief spreads across his face-

"Of course, I'm sorry too, really- that was tactless of me. I blame Sherlock entirely. I never used to be so blunt," he says, returning my smile.

Sherlock raises an eyebrow but doesn't say anything.

Emily clears her throat and rocks back and forwards slightly on the balls of her feet, looking uncomfortable.

I laugh, and go over to check the meagre contents on the fridge for something to eat.

"So... anything interesting happening lately? Any cases?" asks Emily, edging over to Sherlock and looking over his shoulder at his phone- "What are you doing?"

He glances up at her, and locks his phone hurriedly. 

"Research."

"Sorry I asked," she says, sinking into the sofa next to him and folding her legs underneath her, getting out her own phone.

"Anything in the fridge, Millie? Or has the man with the all consuming intellect forgotten it was his turn to go grocery shopping?" asks John.

"Nothing."

"Of course. Why did I even ask?"

"I was busy," interjects Sherlock, re-immersed in the content of his phone.

"You always are," grumbles John, turning a page in the newspaper.

"You  two sound like a married couple, you know that?" says Emily, and John turns a shade of red and hastily adjusts his newspaper. Sherlock ignores her, a crease appearing between his brows as his eyes flick across his screen.

-----------------

Emily's POV

----------------

Millie looks different. Not physically- nothing about her appearance has been altered. No, her posture has changed. She's standing up a bit straighter, her chin's held up a bit higher, and she radiates a new kind of energy- something that isn't quite danger, but definitely a warning; I would think twice before starting up any kind of conflict with her now.

I wonder what Sherlock's doing on his phone. Obviously something that he doesn't want to share, which just generates more curiosity. I lean back slightly, to get a glimpse of the screen. I frown as I observe an animated map of the London Underground. One particular line is flashing, and messages are popping up at each station. I catch sight of words like "Homeless Network" and "Tracking _M". He notices me looking and changes app, and I roll my eyes before settling down and opening my inbox for the third time this evening.