Chapter 11- Stalemate

Emily's POV

---------------

I'm at home when I get the text.

Waterbrook Hotel, Southbank, 10:30PM. Don't be late. ~JM

I've got a good seven hours to kill. Might as well occupy myself. 

Half an hour later, I'm sitting in an internet cafe, sipping peach iced tea.There's a sharp intake of breath behind me.

I turn around, and see Millie Shon looking at me through narrowed eyes, her laptop tucked under one arm and her brown ringlets braided over a shoulder.  She looks around, but the cafe is packed, and the only available is opposite me.

"You can sit there if you want. I don't bite."

She scowls, and sits down hesitantly.

I don't expect her to speak, so when she does, I look up surprised-

"What do you want, from us? From Sherlock, and John?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know precisely what I mean."

"I don't need them. They want me."

She studies me for a while, then says-

"I don't trust you."

"Good."

"Jim Moriarty," she says, leaning forward and lowering her voice- I didn't expect her to know his name, "is using you. You don't know how far he is prepared to go to win the game against Sherlock."

"What is it about this game?"

She looks at me for a while.

"You don't need to know. But, know this. Sherlock and Moriarty hate and love eachother. They're obsessed. They are destructive, both of them. But Moriarty is insane. I expect you've seen it in him- that feeling you get, when he looks at you. The danger that radiates from him. It freezes you inside, it makes you want to run, to get away from him."

I stare at her, shocked at the description.

"How do you-?"

"How do I know that? I've... known Moriarty very well this last year. Too well."

Silence.

"Why did you go to meet Sherlock?"

Her question irritates me. Partially because I'm not entirely sure myself, and partly because she's doing it again- watching me with those inquisitive grey eyes. 

I bristle, and say sharply-

"I don't know what's going on between you. I don't particularly care. But you need to stop. Now. Sherlock and I will continue to communicate, for reasons I'm not going to share with you."

I regret saying that almost instantly. I consider apologising. Millie's eyes cloud with anger, and she sits up straighter.

"Listen to me, Emily Schott. Keep away from Sherlock and John. Keep away from me. I might not be able to hack a system, but I do know how to collect information. Personal information. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

I stare at her. She can't know, only Sherlock-

"Elena."

"Say one more word, Millie Shon, and I swear to god, Sherlock, John, everybody you love will suffer," I hiss.

She regards me coolly, but there's a fleeting flicker of panic across her face.

"I don't intend to share the information on your sister. But know that it's stored in my head. And I will use it, if you cross the line."

"Everybody."

We've reached a stalemate. She knows about my sister. I could destroy her friends.

I get up to leave, but before I reach the door-

"Tell Moriarty I said hi."

I slam the door shut.

-------------