Chapter 26- Lunatics and Explanations

Millie's POV

------------------

The gunshot goes off and we all whip around, stunned into silence.

My first thought is sniper.

And then I see Emily.

She's standing very still, looking down at Elena, who's clearly dead. It takes me a minute to connect the two images, and then I realise-

She shot her.

"Oh, christ-" John says, inhaling sharply, his hand over his mouth. 

Sherlock and Moriarty share identical expressions. Shocked, both of them. Calculating, trying to pinpoint the reason for her actions.

Then the hitmen react. They're confused; waiting for orders. All the red lights are flickering over Emily, concentrated over her face and chest. She doesn't look up. There's the click of fingers tightening on triggers, and-

There's a sharp snap of fingers behind me, and I don't need to look round to know it's Moriarty calling off the shot. He doesn't want her dead, not yet. Probably because, if she died, he would never know why Emily killed her sister, and Moriarty can't stand not knowing.

The pinpoints of light disperse over the room,spreading out over Sherlock, John, and me.

We wait in stunned silence for another long minute. Then Emily's shoulders rise and fall sharply, and she turns around and begins to walk towards us. Her face is completely composed; there's no tears, no sign of strain, no emotion. It's blank. A mask. 

She stops, and looks up:

"That, Jim Moriarty, is how you finish a game."

And she throws the gun onto the floor, where it skids across the concrete to Sherlock's feet.

And then she turns on her heel, and leaves.

Just like that.

The red lights focus on her back, waiting for the order to kill, to stop her leaving-

But it doesn't come.

And she's gone.

We all look at Moriarty, expectantly, silently fearful. He's not looking at us. His brown eyes are focused on a point in the distance, frowning slightly, and you can see his dark thoughts pulling together, creating explanations. Sherlock's resemblance is alarming; his eyes are crystal blue and locked on Elena's body, searching his mind, looking for a logical theory.

And then John speaks, and he's angry, really angry-

"Are you happy, now? Emily just shot her sister. And you say she's ruled by sentiment. Wasn't it enough, playing the game? Blowing those people up, destroying Sherlock's reputation-forcing him to jump- was it getting boring? Is that it? So you had to get another person involved. And you changed her. Made her into you. And now her sister's dead," fumes John, pointing violently to Elena.

Moriarty's eyes flit over to John, and he pauses, thinking- he doesn't look remorseful, not at all, just darkly intrigued.

And then he surprises us all.

He walks away.

Before he reaches the door, he clicks his fingers again: there's a metallic buzz, and the red lights disappear.

Sherlock snaps out of whatever trance he was in, and looks around at us, before running towards the exit Emily left through. We follow him, pounding down flights of stairs until we slam into the night air. We see her first. She's watching the cars in the distance. Sherlock begins to walk over to her, but John grabs his arm and pulls him down to his level, before whispering harshly-