Chapter 5: A Little Bit of Patience

• Dedicated to My Mother :)

CHAPTER 5: A LITTLE BIT OF PATIENCE

He turned his gaze towards me, from a short stack of papers he was holding in his hands. He tilted his head to the side, and he gave me yet another apologetic look. Haven’t seen that one at all today.

“Honey, take a seat down there, please, so I can check your eye out,” the nurse said, causing me to sharply turn my head to look at her. “I want to make sure that no problem will arise.”

“Alright, that’s fine, I’m feeling pretty light-headed anyways,” I grumbled. My shoulders felt like a million bricks had been stacked upon them, and the few steps I took to the vinyl bed made me wonder whether the floor had changed into quicksand. I was fatigued.

“Are you feeling alright? What happened?” Cody suddenly asked with concern. He placed the pen he was holding down and rested his chin on his hand.

As I was about to respond, I felt a blush flutter onto my cheeks. If there was one thing I hated in this world, it might have been blushing unnecessarily. It makes me feel inferior to others, weak even.

“I’m fine, don’t worry about it,” I said. Then I twisted my lips as I realized what I had last said. I made it sound like he was worrying, while maybe he might have not been... I bit my tongue. I’m being way too silly. And easily embarrassed for no reason. “Um... I sorta poked myself in the eye. Very stupid and clumsy and unbelievable, I know.”

“Nah, it’s nothing. Your eye seems to be getting better already. It’s just a temporary thing,” he said, and flashed me a luminous smile.

Another thing that annoyed me. When my cheeks matched the colour of my fire truck red shirt.

I rubbed my hands over my face, feeling drowsy and aching. I kept my hands over my eyes, trying to refresh myself and feel a little better. After all, it was only the beginning of the morning; I had a lot more to do today.

I felt a warm hand gently pull my arms away from my face. A tingly sensation flowed through my whole body; a sensation that left me even more light-headed than before, if possible. I removed my other hand and gaped at Cody, who was now placing my hand back into my lap.

“You have to be careful. Don’t press on your eye. You’ll only make things worse,” he said lightly. I just sat there, stuttering strings of nonsensical words.

Nonchalantly, he turned back towards the stack of papers he was holding and with a swift strike of his wrist, he signed his name.

“What’s that for?” I asked with more confidence, finally regaining control of my own mind and emotions.

“Oh, it’s just a couple of student signatures I had to fill out. For the health forms I forgot to hand in yesterday. Mrs. Arevalo here wanted to make sure I had them filled out in front of her,” he chuckled while giving the school nurse, Mrs. Arevalo, a sheepish grin.

 “You have that right, Mr. Zehr. It’s disrespectful to act rebellious and not sign a couple health form sheets, right, young lady?” the nurse played along, and sent me a knowing smile.