Chapter 17: Deal or No Deal

CHAPTER 17: DEAL OR NO DEAL

Audrey, Stella, and I were standing awkwardly on the threshold of the principal's office room, our blood boiling to our heads. I felt every nerve in my body slowly closing off, gradually tormenting me. The feelings I was getting were easily comparable to being locked inside a cage, not knowing how to get out of the predicament.

"Please take a seat girls," Mr. Duncan's voice boomed.

Shakily, I gripped the armrest of one of the wooden chairs, and settled myself down. Audrey and Stella exchanged glances with me, but our attention was right at the principal when he swiveled his chair towards us.

"So, girls. There's something going on." He placed his chin under his hand, his elbow on the table, looking at each of us very, very closely.

"Sir, it was not my fault! It was all-" Stella impulsively started.

"It wasn't me-" Audrey barged in.

"What would that be, sir?" I suavely interrupted. I tried to appear cool and calm, but felt oddly betrayed by Audrey and Stella's interruption. What did they mean, it wasn't them? The Gradebook was all of our faults, if not theirs a little more, because they'd written more reviews than me.

Mr. Duncan smiled and stretched his arms wide apart. "The theatrical play we're putting on, that's what! Haven't you heard recently? The auditioning sign-up sheet is already posted up beside the library."

My eyes stung because I held them wide open for at least a searing two minutes. The ice in my veins started to melt down, and I felt like jelly, slouching down on my chair as opposed to the stiff position I had before.

Audrey and Stella didn't seem to have reacted more differently than me.

"Is there something wrong? I thought all you girls were excellent at the arts. Why, Audrey, you've been our lead role for the past two year's worth of theatrical plays, and Stella's sung for all the performances, and Mia, you were always very impressing with your artwork and backdrops."

Was this some kind of sick joke? Here I was one minute, thinking that the world was going to end and that I'd never be able to show my face at Cedarfield Heights again, and the next minute, Mr. Duncan was animatedly discussing theatre? I concluded that he was paid to do this.

"So, that's it? You just wanted to tell us about the play?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"It was more like I needed to, you three are our drama power group. So, what do you say, girls? The auditions are in a week from now, during Drama Club at three o'clock," Mr. Duncan told us, smiling expectantly.

We instantly broke into chatter. "Yeah, of course!" "We'd love to." "What a great idea!"

"Very well. Thank you for your cooperation, girls. You should head to class now." The principal regained his more firm tone of voice.

I slowly got up and tucked in my chair, dazedly walking out of the office and into the hall with Audrey and Stella trailing behind me.

I couldn't even talk; I was blubbering my words out. "I c-can't believe it..."

"I know, me neither," Audrey added.

Stella closed the office door behind us and we stood in the hallway, watching kids pass by, chitchatting and acting totally normal.

"I wonder what happened to the Gradebook though. Ms. Pinette probably still has it."

"Or maybe not," a croaky, mystery-meat smelling voice wafted between me, Audrey, and Stella.

"Ah!" we screamed in unison. I quickly spun around and began waving my hand in front of my mouth.

"So, how's about we make a deal, ladies?" Sloppy Joe offered, with a mysteriously moving eyebrow.