Chapter 13: Abracadabra, Presenting... Mia Byers

CHAPTER 13: ABRACADABRA, PRESENTING... MIA BYERS

“You have got to be kidding me.”

“Alec, it's a great idea, your opinion doesn't really matter in this. I know better, Mia always knows better,” I told him, smiling and patting him on the shoulder. Swiftly, I turned around, and signed his full name under the title ‘PRIVATE EVALUATION’. The sign-up sheet was posted right on the door of the back entrance of the school, overlooking the football field.

For the record, Alec didn't have psychological issues, or the need for a straitjacket, but he did have some minor popularity issues. 

"Little Miss Sunshine, are you perfectly sure that a private evaluation is going to land me a spot? I mean, I know ever since the wide receiver twins switched schools and whatever, they've been in desperate need for a few positions, but I don't know a thing about football! What, do you think I'll end up being Q.B. with zero knowledge in the sport?"

With a huff, I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes at him. “Does it even matter? Let Rick show you around like he promised, and since he knows you're one of me, soon you'll be throwing footballs almost every hour of the day!” I pinched his cheek as he let out a groan and beckoned him to keep touring the football field. 

“Hey, do you know what's going on over there, in the corner of the field?” Alec asked, pointing a finger to the opposite side of where we were standing. It looked like the team coach was clapping with a pen and paper stack while a guy was catching and sending footballs flying towards a -most likely- assistant coach. 

“Maybe someone's private evaluation was scheduled earlier? They're supposed to start in a week, but maybe, just maybe...” I wondered. 

“Whatever. Just wish me luck, okay? Rick's probably waiting inside the locker room for me to get changed so he can see how much of a loser I am...” he said, rubbing a hand through his hair.

“You'll do fine, just do it for Alyce,” I reminded him, and a small smile took over his face. “Practice makes perfect!”

While I hitched my tote bag a little higher up my raw shoulder, Alec fiddled with his hands and walked across the field towards the boys’ change room inside the school, swinging around his gym bag. The figure in the distance that was throwing around footballs seemed to be a pro at the game. He dove for lightning-fast throws and caught them with ease. When he sent the ball spiraling to the other guy... it was like Joe Montana’s spirals all over again.

The second I saw Alec disappear into the school, I waited a few minutes and slipped on my sunglasses and pulled down my sun hat in an effort to keep a mysterious identity. I started strolling down the side of the grassy field, yard after yard after yard until I reached the corner of it. Then I made a beeline for the boys’ change room; it would give me a close-up of the players. Maybe Rick wanted a head start on winning the new coach’s sympathy?

The sun felt hot on my head as I slithered across the grass to the edge of the stands. Only one guy ran along me on the field, not even paying me a second glance. He held a soccer ball and started jogging towards the school back entrance.

Finally, placing one of my feet onto the marble staircase leading inside, I squinted and pulled down my sunglasses, and the person trying out was familiar.