Chapter Twenty-Six

This chapter took me very long to finish for some reason (and not only because it's 4k+!!!!! words yes i know you're welcome <3 But seriously, I wanted to cry so many times). I also already apologize in advance for the disaster that is my author's note. But please do persevere reading through that mess, there's something in there that I made for you guyssss

This chapter is dedicated to Faith. Thank you so much for the amazing covers! :) All of them are posted on my IG (instagram.com/freixle) <3 Please do check them out there <3

------------

It astounded Lilac how fast the day had gone. The skies which used to be bright were now dimming gradually, and Lilac stared as the various shades of violet and orange mix effortlessly in a way that stole her breath.

Ethan walked by her side, never letting go of her. He would either hold her hand or have his arm wrapped around her shoulder. They spent some time walking in comfortable silence, which Ethan broke whenever he pointed out something to Lilac, familiarizing her with the place.

True to her words, Lilac didn't push anymore for his personal stories. She just asked a few things about the places he pointed out. Ethan brought her to a small playground covered in dried, fallen leaves. He pointed out the huge oak tree at the center of it, lightly mentioning how it was probably older than the oldest member of the pack.

Lilac curiously sat at the swing which creaked slightly, and asked, "Why are there tables under the tree?"

Ethan gestured for her to look behind her, and Lilac stood up as a quaint, homey-looking house came into view.

She was about to ask whose house it was when she noticed the shelves filled with books and stuffed toys. Lilac looked at Ethan and asked again, "What is that place supposed to be?"

"A daycare," he answered. Looking at Lilac's curious expression, Ethan's lips curved into a small smile and further explained, "It's where most pups... kids around this area go to. It's small and quaint but the teachers are good and the facilities aren't lacking."

Lilac hummed then looked at the place with warmth in her eyes. "How old?"

"The kids?" Ethan asked.

Lilac nodded.

"Around 3 to 5, I think. Pups that age are too energetic. They also absorb information fast, so it's better to divert all that energy to learning."

Pups. The word brought a small smile to Lilac's lips.

Lilac looked at the center. There were fences surrounding it, flowers growing behind, some of them peeking through the white wooden bars.

Just looking at it made Lilac feel warm, as if the sun shined brighter above the place.

"Too bad it's close already, though," she murmured.

"I can take you here again next time," Ethan said.

"When you're not busy," Lilac agreed.

They resumed walking past it, and Lilac couldn't stop the random question from tumbling out of her mouth, "Do you like kids?"

Ethan gave her a little surprised look but still answered, "Adrian's the only kid I know, and he's bright. I don't know if I like kids in general. I like Adrian though."

Ethan taught her where the borders were, but didn't bring her there physically because he didn't want to risk her safety. He taught her where several routes lead to, and Lilac took the information in eagerly, asking small, curious questions which Ethan answered directly nonetheless.