Chapter Fourteen

The building was on fire? Had someone blown it up? Was that bang I'd heard before an explosion? 

The smell of smoke intensified as we ran through the darkened hallway. Suddenly Sam stopped and turned to me, holding something in his hand. He grabbed hold of my bracelet-covered wrist and pressed whatever he had in his hand against the metal. It buzzed and contracted before opening up, falling to the floor. I stared at my wrist, rubbing the tender skin; two small puncture wounds were visible on the underside of my wrist. Wounds like these I had seen before, they looked just like vampire bite marks. My eyes traveled and met Sam's. Even in the dim light I could see his inhuman eyes, watching me closely. 

"Emily we have to keep moving," he urged and I felt my feet taking off again. The smoke thickened, making me cough and with a hand I covered my mouth and nose. I guess the rebellion had begun, I thought vaguely as we rounded a corner, only to come to a sudden halt when we both noticed something blocking our way. Well, someone. 

Two very angry looking vampires stood shoulder to shoulder and practically wall to wall. One had a large gash on the forehead, but there was no blood. I guess when your body wasn't functioning like a human anymore, the blood stopped flowing. 

"Shax's prisoner stays here traitor," the vamp growled, but it only made Sam step in front of me, shielding me from sight.

"Over my dead body," Sam replied, his voice stone cold. I didn't feel like reminding him that technically his body was already dead, so those words were kind of useless in this situation. 

I coughed from the smoke I was inhaling and I desperately tried to get my breathing under control, feeling my lungs burn in the process. I registered movement from the corner of my eye. One of the vampire guards had charged against Sam. I felt myself inch backwards, but suddenly everything in front of me was a blur. With an inhuman vampire speed, Sam and the guards engaged themselves in a fight. I couldn't tell who was who or what was happening. I took another step backwards and felt my breathing starting to calm down, though it was more raspy than before. I bit my lip, trying to make out what was happening; clearly Sam was an experienced fighter since he could fight off two other vampires at the same time without them getting to me. But he shouldn't have to fight alone. 

I swallowed and coughed slightly from the soreness of my throat, but pushed the unpleasant feeling away and focused on taking deep breaths, trying to find the source of my energy. After a few tries I spotted something inside me. There. A flicker of blue light danced inside me and I mentally reached out, trying to grasp it. I heard someone groan and looked up to see Sam lying on the floor. I was out of time. 

I grabbed onto the string of light and felt it run through my body, down my arms and filling up both my hands, making my fingertips tingle with a pleasant delight. My hands kept filling up until I thought they were on the brink of bursting open from the sudden pressure. 

I raised my hands, holding them up in front of me, pointed at the two vampires who were watching me with apprehension. It was then one of the vampires noticed my bare wrist.

"She doesn't have her bracelet!" 

Both of them charged and just when I thought I couldn't hold back anymore, I felt the penned up energy leave my hands and I let out a feral cry as two small blue bolts emerged from my palms and immediately combined and formed one ball, and I watched as it hit the wall left of the two vampires. Both of them had stopped in their tracks, possibly stunned, and they looked at the scorching burn mark around the small hole in the wall that had appeared from impact. Even I had to stare at it. I had done that. I looked down at my hands in awe.