Chapter Four

I was sitting on a small chair watching her tie her long brown hair with a piece of string. My mother had always been a beauty, and I would never think I'd see anyone as beautiful as her. Her slender face was smooth, the corners of her mouth always turned upwards in a slight smile.

I adored her. I was in awe of her.

"Do you want to tie the bow, Emily?" My mother asked, smiling as she crouched down in front of me as I nodded my head vigorously. She chuckled and turned around, her back facing me, her hair loosely bound with the string.

"Remember what I taught you," she said, and I reached out to grasp the two ends of the band, making a loop with one end and wrapping the other end around it once, pulling the two parts away from each other, grinning when I finished the slightly clumsy bow.

I ran my small hand through the soft hair of my mother's, hoping my own would one day look like that.

Mother straightened herself up and turned to pick me up, cradling me tightly against her as she walked out of the room.

"I wonder where your father is?" she thought out loud, and we went through several different rooms, all empty of the man who had protected us from any harm since as long as I could remember.

"Sarah!" The voice was filled with fright and concern, making my mother pick up her pace and run outside, my head gently bouncing against her shoulder, eyes wide and alert.

"John!" Her voice was trembling, I could feel the tremors run through her body, but she still grasped me tightly.

"They're here. Take Emily and run!"

She turned with no further argument, and my eyes caught those of my father's, they softened upon my gaze, but turned hard as the gate behind him rattled on its hinges, hissing and growling voices suddenly creeping into my ears.

My mother ran with me in her arms.

A blinding blue light emanating from my dad pierced the darkness, and I shut my eyes as tears started to fall.

My scream seemed to echo through the night.

"Dad!"

I bolted upright, panting heavily, my arms outstretched in front of me in a guarded position until I remembered where I was.

Down below the house with Dennis and Johan and all the food.

I hated this particular nightmare.

It always started out so sweet and innocent, and if I closed my eyes, I could almost feel the softness of my mother's hair, curling my fingers around the empty air, wishing it was entwined in her long brown strands.

And it always ended the same way; the bright blue light that blinded my childish eyes, and all I remember from when I opened them again was that I was huddled in the darkness with my mother wrapped around me, my father nowhere in sight.

I realized then that something had woken me up; the palms of my hands were both tingling.
It had happened before, and it wasn't the first time it had caused me to wake up.

However, this time the strange tingling felt stronger somehow, and warm.
My hands were clearly warmer than the rest of my body.

I shook them, trying to get rid of the prickling in my skin, but it didn't help at all.

I tried going back to sleep, but it was useless. I was fully awake now.

I stood up and stretched my limbs. It was still completely dark down here, so it must have still been night outside.

Even though I should have just stayed put, I felt restless and I walked with silent steps and fumbling arms, trying to find the wooden steps that would lead me back up in the house.

It didn't take long to find them, and lucky for me, I didn't step on any of the guys.

I quickly climbed the stairs and pulled myself out of the opening, standing up before walking out of the room, remembering the way to the front door.

I needed fresh air. I always felt like that after waking up from a nightmare, especially that one.

My mind would start rambling on about that blue light that had seemed to come directly from my father, but how?

I opened the door and stepped outside in the chilling air, breathing in heavily to calm myself down.

Closing it gently, I stepped away from the door, but kept to the wall, not forgetting to still be alert.

I knew it was stupid of me to be alone outside, never knowing what could be lurking out here, but sometimes I just couldn't stand being cooped up in a small room like that. It made me anxious.

I walked around the side of the house, taking in the brilliant night sky that was covered with sparkling lights. Stars, if I remember correctly.

My hands were still warm, I rubbed them together trying to make the prickling cease, but somehow it seemed to make it worse.

The warmth turned into a burning feeling, and I flapped my hands around, trying to cool them down.

What the hell? I thought alarmingly.

Then I felt something stir deep within me, something that was making its way through me and I felt that burning sensation creep like tendrils down my arms, towards my already heated hands. The feeling inside of me was foreign and panic rose in me. What was happening to me? What was causing this? Was I getting sick? I never got sick. Not even a runny nose or a fever. I stepped away from the wall so I wouldn't accidentally hit it with my flailing limbs.