Chapter 10

“Luke, there is no way in hell I am wearing this tonight.” I debate with the blonde headed idiot as I stand in front of my mirror, holding the dress that was as short as a shirt in front of me.

“Oh c’mon Riley, It’s gonna be easy on the eyes for everyone.” He says, smirking as he looked over at me and my annoyed expression.

“By everyone, you mean you right?” I say.

“Yeah, pretty much.” He answers and laughs.

I roll my eyes and turn back to the mirror, taking a deep breath. “I’m not getting out of this am I?” I ask, knowing he’s not going to settle for anything else due to his stubbornness.

“Oh, you’ll probably be getting out of it tonight, depending on how drunk I get you.” He answers and grins.

I shake my head. “Have I mentioned how much I hate you?” I ask, turning to him.

“Not recently...”He answers, as if he is actually thinking about it. I bite the inside of my cheek. He owes me big time for this. I walk into my bathroom and say goodbye to my comfortable clothes for the rest of the night. I squeeze the stupidly tight black dress onto my body. I’m not even sure how I was able to get myself into it. I don’t know how girls wear these things. I mean, I can’t breathe in this and as I try to walk, it’s almost impossible. I take one last look into the bathroom mirror and sigh before walking back into my room.

When I walk into my room, Luke is sitting on the edge of my bed, looking through his phone and doesn’t notice when I enter. I clear my throat to get his attention. When Luke looks up he looks surprised? I couldn’t really read the look on his face, but by the way he licked his lips and smiled as his eyes traced my body, I could only guess he was satisfied.

“Just as I thought, fits perfect.” He says smiling and standing up. He walks over to my dresser and grabs my make-up bag, fishing inside it.

“In my short week of knowing you, I’ve noticed you enjoy eyeliner very much.” He says, pulling out my black eyeliner from the bag and holding it out for me. I take it from him and stand in front of my mirror, beginning to put it on my bare face.

“Is that what you’re wearing?” I ask, sliding the pencil under my eye as it leaves a black streak behind it and I do the same under my other eye.

“Yeah.” He answers simply and shrugs.

“Oh, so I have to dress like a prostitute on the street corner, and you can dress like you do every day?” I say, turning to look at him.

“Yup.” He says popping the ‘p’ and he smiles as if to rub it in my face that he gets to wear comfortable clothes and I have to wear latex that constricts my body.

“Don’t do your hair.” He says just as I reach for my flat iron.

“Why not?” I question. “I thought you wanted me to look ‘presentable’ to your friends.” I add.

“Yeah, I do… And trust me, you hair looking like it is, is pretty sexy.” He smiles, and I feel heat rise to my cheeks. It felt strange hearing him say that to me, and it almost sounded like he meant it.

I take a breath, “Fine, whatever, let me just finish my make-up. Just eyeliner by itself doesn’t make me look human again.” I say, searching through my make-up bag and Luke shakes his head and chuckles, waiting for me to finish.

After debating with Luke for another 10 minutes about what shoes I was wearing, we both finally agreed on some mildly-high black heels since there was a very slim choice of heels in my closet, that’s what I was forced to go with. We walk down the stairs and sadly my mother is seated on the couch watching TV, and my father is nowhere in sight.

She turns to look at me and her eyes widen. “Riley, you are not going out tonight looking like that.” She says, a disgusted tone behind her voice as she studied my appearance.

“Don’t worry Mrs. Harper, I’m going to make sure she’s with me the whole time.” Luke says, as if that will give my mother any closure. 

“She better come home right after.” She says, directed to both me and Luke.

“Don’t count on it.” I say, walking to the door and pulling Luke with me to avoid another word of dialogue from my mother. We get to his car and he turns up the heat to help warm my up from the coldness outside. After about 20 minutes of driving to his friend’s house, we finally pull up to an open parking spot and I notice his house is almost as big as Luke’s, if not bigger.

“Ready to party?” Luke turns to see me and smiles after he turns off the car.

“Not really, but do I have a choice?” I ask, looking back over at him, silently praying he would let me stay in the car and forget about this whole thing.

“Nope.” He says and opens his car door. He walks around the car and to my door and opens it for me. I step out and try not to stumble on the ground from walking in this dress and heels. We walk into the house and the heat from inside immediately flows into our cold faces. I take a deep breath, trying to prepare myself for what the night will bring. Before we walk any further, Luke casually slides his hand around my waist. I immediately look up at him, wanting to punch him for touching me but his soft smile relieves that temptation.

“Don’t worry princess, It’s all part of the act.” He says and winks before pulling me into the crowd with him. ‘All part of the act.’ Right. But there’s a little, tiny, microscopic part of me that feels like this isn’t completely an act anymore.

(Sorry this chapter was a little short, The next chapter will be longer and much, much more eventful ;))