House of Wolves

"It must be hard. Knowing the odds of the cancer you're fighting.

"Not really." I reposition myself and look at the priest thats in my hospital room. I can't see him too well. The lights are on. So I squint.

"Why is that?"

"Dying sounds kinda good right now."

"I know being sick is hard, but you can beat it and get back to your life."

"That's just the thing. I have no life i wish to get back to."

They (Being the hospital) sent the priest to me because my brother told them I was religious. So there's a catholic priest in front of me. Funny, cause even though now I'm not religious, when I was, I was a baptist. Not catholic. Nice going Wes.

"There's always a life to get back to."

I shrug. "Maybe so.  But even if I were to wanting to live, I probably won't." I pause. "I'm going home tomorrow."

"That's good."

I laugh. "Obviously you don't visit dying cancer patients often."

He looks offended. "Theyre sending me home to die."

"Oh..." he says. "But God can preform miricals."

"Yup." I say.

"And if not, you get to go home to heaven."

"I'm not so sure of that."

"Have you lost your faith?"

"No. I just know a lot about the Bible and God, so I know God wont allow someone like me in Heaven."

"Why is that?"

"I've done some awful things. I'm gonna burn in hell."

"Don't you remember forgiveness?"I turn over. "Can we just pray and wrap this up or whatever?"And we do. Then I think to myself - forgiveness. I sigh. Tell the truth and God will save you...