Prologue

Prologue

Disclaimer: All rights of characters go to the lovely JK Rowling, I'm just making the plot.

Note: This is a sort of prequel to Don't Call Me Nymphadora, but it can easily be read without that.

Remus John Lupin didn't consider himself to be a strong person. Sure, he could lift things with ease, but he wasn't able to deal with emotions. It was all because of the fate-altering day, so many years prior, when he was bitten.

Fenrir Greyback is a monster in the most literal sense, and of course five year-old Lupin had to pick a full moon of all nights to sneak out and stargaze in the meadow behind his house. Of course Fenrir had to be in the general area of that Wizarding village and pick up his scent. Of course he was bitten.

Remus shook his head. As much as he'd like to believe he'd come to terms with it all, there was always a part of him that sought revenge. Remus believed himself to be weak, but really, he was one of the strongest. Who else could undergo all the pain and hatred and prejudice he had and still be as kind and forgiving as him?

Sirius had seen that, as had James and Lily. Few others had. Peter had mainly tagged along in whatever Sirius and James said. Remus was grateful for them, he really was. He grew up with the boys, and they became closer over the seven years at Hogwarts, less like friends and more like family. Which made it all the more painful when it was destroyed, two perishing at the hands of their evil enemy, and confusion about the betrayal of the other two. Sirius was innocent, and consequently, the one Marauder Remus has left by his side now. James and Lily are dead, and Peter, well, he's as good as dead.

That left two. Two of the four, half remaining and standing to recount ageless tales of youth to others, only one half left bearing the throat-clenching pain of grief mixed with memories so bittersweet they hurt to remember. It was hard for them both, but Remus was left in utter desolation, isolated from those he had held most dear. The worst part was his utter inability to help, his complete uselessness to stop what had occurred. He had thought back a million times, and every single time, he wondered if the outcome would be better if he went back and changed it all.

That was it, he concluded. He had to go back in time. But even in his desperation, he remembered the cryptic warning that strange things happen to wizards who meddle with time. Despite it all, he knew it would be worth the risks. The question is, how far back would he go? How far back would be okay and not destroy the plot line of the future?

Time was not something to be taken lightly, Remus knew. So it was with a heavy heart he resigned himself to the fate of going alone. That is, until Tonks and Padfoot cornered him one night in the study.

"What are you thinking about, Moony?" Sirius inquired one evening by the fire. Remus, who had been staring intently into the embers for a good ten minutes, jerked his head up rather guiltily.

"Nothing." He answered quickly, far too quickly. Tonks' pink eyebrows narrowed in suspicion. Padfoot rolled his eyes.

"Right, and I am confident I can handle the Queen's china without breaking it." Both Sirius and Remus snorted at that. Tonks did have a bit of a track record when it came to the breaking of

important things.

Remus sighed resignedly when he took in the stubborn set in the Blacks' jaws and narrowed features. He knew there was no way to escape without telling them. "Fine. I have a plan on how we can go and save James and Lily."

He knew they were going to be shocked, but he didn't expect the fury blazing in Sirius' eyes. "No Remus. I've finally come to terms with their passing, and I'm not going to have you go back and die too trying to save them. I won't let you." His voice cracked, and Remus was again reminded that he wasn't the same naive soul he was before Azkaban.

Remus swallowed."You won't lose me, because you're coming with me." It wasn't a question or a statment, but a command, one he knew Sirius would respond too.

With no more than a second's hesitation, Sirius nodded. Tonks looked troubled, then simply said, "I'm in."

Both men shook their heads furiously."It's too dangerous!"

"I'm a bloody Auror for Merlin's sake. You think I'm afraid?"

"No, more like the opposite, which is why you need to stay here."

She snorted. "And leave you two buffoons to fend for yourselves? I don't bloody think so."

Remus sighed. There was that oh-so-familiar Black stubbornness. Sirius finally nodded. "When do we leave?"

Remus took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. It was bad enough that Sirius had to come, never mind Tonks. She was the last person he wanted to get hurt. It was no use though, he knew. Just like her lovely second cousin, Tonks would do what she wanted no matter what he or anyone else said. He had seven years' worth of experience to back him up.

He leaned over his bed, reaching to fold his extra jumper. His bag was almost packed, and thanks to Hermione, he could stuff a ridiculous amount with an undetectable extension charm. She really is the brightest witch of her age, he mused.

Finishing his packing, he went to go check on Sirius. Tonks was in one of the guest bedrooms below, filling her own bag.

He couldn't believe Dumbledore had agreed to let them go on their mission, and he was surprised that none of the kids had found out yet. Surely at least the twins had suspicions...

They were leaving in two days, as soon as Kingsley could sneak a time turner from the Ministry. Taking a deep breath, he realized what is to come, and just how dangerous it is. Despite this, Remus knew that if it would save the Wizarding World, isn't that worth it?