Chapter 2: The Ball

Terrwyn stopped beside Aricia, facing the open doorway that led towards the palace gardens. They were well lit and already full, people walking by in clothing ranging from elaborate to understated simplicity, all of them masked. The inability to see who was who made Terrwyn's neck itch. Someone could smuggle troops in disguised and no one would know until it was too late and then—

Her thought was cut off by a kick from Aricia. "You're thinking of something awful and unfitting of a ball," the princess said, eyes narrowed behind her silver mask.

She sighed. "I hate balls, especially masques."

"You will simply have to accept it. It's not as if you do not have nearly every other member of my bodyguards in uniform stationed throughout the grounds. And that in addition to the palace guards and those of my parents' guards. Now, I will not have the efforts I put into making you presentable go to waste any more than I will the time it took to tame my hair. Let's head out."

Terrwyn wrinkled her nose, causing her black half-mask to rise. "All right, but I'd prefer it if you stayed close. You don't know who gossips to who, and there are young men who will pay to find out what you're dressed as."

Aricia gave her a sidelong glance and a wicked smile. "Which is why I pay my seamstresses and maids an additional fee to remain quiet or to give any particularly persistent people a false description I provide."

"I should know better than to underestimate you."

"That is very true." The princess led the way towards the doors. "Keep your head up and enjoy yourself."

"Easy for you to say," Terrwyn muttered. Already she could feel nervous sweat prickling her palms and back. There were too many people and she only had a few knives on her. She wanted her sword and her armour, but with Aricia's hard stare on her, she fixed her face into some semblance of politeness and walked outside.

At least the air was cool, the last bit of light leaving the sky slowly as the deep blue of twilight was swallowed by the black of night. The wide stone terrace was well lit with torches, with most people currently mingling around the tables holding food and drink. Musicians were setting up in one corner, the light notes of their tuning rising above the general murmur of chatter.

Down the stairs the gardens were kept from being dark with lanterns hung on temporary poles, some people already wandering around the central grassy area, only a few taking the paths into the flowers themselves. Terrwyn flickered her gaze over the assembled people, noting the grey uniforms of her people spaced out so they could handle any trouble prior to it becoming an issue.

She nodded inwardly, pleased at the discipline she saw. Everyone was where they should be, and they were being ignored by the revellers. Terrwyn turned to Aricia, who was smiling at her in a way that made her tense.

"I am pleased to see you embracing your feminine side, even if it was done under protest."

"It's not my job to be feminine. It's my job to keep you safe."

"One does not preclude the other," Aricia retorted. "And for tonight, being feminine should be your only concern."

Before Terrwyn could ask what she meant by that, Aricia turned and hurried into the thickest part of the crowd, disappearing in moments. Gritting her teeth, Terrwyn stayed where she was. Drawing attention to Aricia would be worse. And it wasn't as if all of her people didn't know exactly what the princess was wearing and would keep an eye on her. She'd have to trust them to do their jobs.

With the press of people close enough even the outside air felt stale, Terrwyn went straight to the table holding drinks. She grabbed one of the delicate goblets filled with pale liquid. A quick gulp told her it was plum wine, and she resisted the urge to toss it all back. She didn't need the headache she'd have in the morning if she allowed herself to overindulge.