Chapter 3: Stolen

Keeping pace beside Aricia, Terrwyn gazed about, identifying every bit of movement in the gardens they strolled through. The princess had already dismissed her ladies-in-waiting, leaving just the two of them for the little time they had left before they needed to get ready for dinner. Already the sun was dying, the light turning golden making it clear they would have to head back to Aricia's rooms.

The princess looked at her, a wicked edge hiding in the corners of the polite smile she wore in public. "Have you had any luck in finding your dance partner from last night?"

Terrwyn sighed. Aricia was like a dog with a bone. "No, and I haven't been looking. We danced once, that's it."

"It appeared to me as if you were in the midst of quite the moment prior to his departure. I have also never seen you dance so gracefully or with such obvious joy."

"You're reading way more into one dance than you should."

"If you bothered to embrace your femininity rather than ignoring it, this would not be such a rare occurrence. You do well when you relax and stop worrying about your duty. I appreciate you take your job seriously, and I don't want you to stop doing what you believe is necessary, but you need to have a life outside of my safety."

Terrwyn stopped and met Aricia's look squarely. "Your safety has to be my first concern. If it isn't, you should replace me as your chief bodyguard."

Aricia held her eyes. "I will not replace you. You are everything I want for someone in the position. You are skilled, intelligent, don't feel the need to bow and scrape to me, and as an added benefit, you're female so I need not worry about any rumours about our closeness. And I do like you on a personal level which is why I worry you will one day wake up with nothing, having spent your whole life focused on me."

"It won't be forever," she replied, rubbing the back of her neck. "But I've only had the position for two years, and you know there are people who still question it. And you're single. Once you're settled, everyone else should settle down as well."

The princess studied her for a few more seconds then she nodded. She made a disapproving noise as she started walking again. "Please do not remind me. Mother has taken to mentioning possible matches whenever we are together as a family. It's gotten wearying far faster than I thought it would. I do understand the need, but I intend to choose my partner carefully. I will not have my rule usurped."

Terrwyn snorted. "It wouldn't get that far. I won't allow anyone to hurt or usurp you. My loyalty and sword are yours, and always will be. You took a chance on me when no one else would."

Aricia smiled. "This is why I like you. You don't really want anything of me. The things you do want are only to keep me safe, and while I don't always agree, I do appreciate the care you take. And it was less of a gamble than everyone else seems to believe. I remember how you dedicated yourself to your training, had seen you fight in matches, and knew that the Frostpeaks don't tolerate stupidity. If your brother was not heir and already married, I would consider him as a possible suitor."

"Cadell's all right, I guess, but you could definitely do better," she replied, wrinkling her nose. She couldn't imagine anyone but her sister-in-law, Dianthe, thinking her brother was any kind of catch. And even then, she was pretty sure sometimes Dianthe thought Cadell's obsession with trade was odd. Though with how strong it ran in her family, her sister-in-law would have to get used to it.

The princess chuckled. "With that in mind, I believe it's past time we return to my rooms. I must prepare for dinner. Father has said we will be welcoming some new diplomats tonight. We may even find your oh-so-mysterious partner."