Chapter 9

Harry

"Do you want me to get you anything?" Felicity asks me as she gets out of the car.

We're stopped at a gas station somewhere in the midst of Baltimore. We just finished our lunch, after asking three different pedestrians and making two Google searches for the nearest Outback Steakhouse. Who would've thought that finding a restaurant so well known would be so difficult?

I drove to a gas station just to top off the tank before we leave. I'm not entirely sure where we're headed to next. I mean, obviously our destination is California, but at the moment I'm kind of thinking that this girl wouldn't mind another detour. I don't know if she wants me to keep driving in the direction of Los Angeles or if she has another city in mind. Personally, I don't have a specific place in mind and I don't really know where I would want to go anyway, but I'm always up for another pitstop.

After our aquarium trip and our lunch, I can see that Felicity is starting to open up more. She's much more relaxed and not as worried about her itinerary. Right now, she hasn't mentioned staying on track nor has she said anything about heading to California.

Once the two of us stop arguing with each other and stop intentionally getting on each other's nerves, we're actually pretty good together. I have to admit that I enjoy her presence, and I would like to think that she enjoys mine. This road trip might not be as bad as I initially thought it would be. If things played out at the rate everything was going yesterday, this trip would have been a complete nightmare. But now, I look forward to it.

"What are you going to get?" I ask Felicity as I step out of the car.

She shrugs her shoulders and scratches the top of her head. "I'm not sure. Probably a soda or some chips. I just want something to munch on while we're on the road."

"Well if you are offering to buy, I'll take a water and some little Oreos. Get the ones in that cup with the yellow lid. They're easier to have when I'm driving."

"Okay, I'll be back," she laughs, shaking her head and walking away.

I turn my attention to the gas pump, swiping my card and grabbing the nozzle. The weather is so cold, I could turn into a popsicle right here on the spot. The wind whips at my cheeks and my hands hurt from not being comforted by a pair of gloves that I left in the car by accident. I probably should have asked Felicity to grab me a cup of coffee instead of a water bottle, but it's a little too late for that.

My phone vibrates in my jacket pocket, the alert tone barely loud enough to hear under the thick fabric. For a moment I believe it's Felicity, having somehow read my mind and asking me if I want a hot drink instead. But I'm soon met with the feeling of slight disappointment as I realize I don't actually have her phone number, nor does she have mine. So I pull out my phone in curiosity, wondering if Louis is checking up on my trip.

Hiya weirdo! Was reminded of you today ... How've you been?? Haven't talked to you in a long time

I smile as I read the message from one of my greatest friends, Lou Teasdale. She is so far the best thing that has happened to me and I love that lady to death. We haven't dated or done anything romantic, so she isn't an ex-fling of mine. Simply put, Lou has helped me with a lot of shit in my life, and without her, I don't know what I would be doing with my life. I'd probably be at some college that I hated, being the lifeless idiot I once was. I have so much to thank her for.

Of course, I'm still an idiot now, but it used to be a whole different level of idiocy a couple years back.

I'm good! You? What's going on in your life these days?