Part 12

As predicted chaos ensued when the entered the parlour of their house. There was a collection of Elena's friends, panicked looks on all of their faces. Alaric, Tyler, Bonnie, Caroline and Jeremy were there- each one more panicked than the last.

'What's happening?' Stefan asked, sounding just as panicked as they were. Damon, on the other hand, simply folded his arms and smirked as he watched it play out- earning him a scowl from all of them but Alaric.

'It's Elena. She's not doing so well.' Damon scoffed at Caroline's panicked words.

'Explain.' Stefan stated, curious as to what worried them so much.

'Ikindofturnedherintoavampire.' Caroline mumbled, her words becoming one. Stefan took a step back, his eyes widening.

'No, you didn't. Caroline! What the hell did you do!' Oh, Stefan was pissed now. His eyes were aflame and his body was rigid. This wasn't the time to let Caroline's mistakes go, this was a life or death decision that she let Elena make without any thought. Caroline had just destroyed someone's life- forever.

'I'm sorry.' She spoke to the ground, her voice barely above a whisper. Stefan growled but was pushed away by Damon, a smile still plastered on his face.

'Let me guess, little-Elena has gone off on a bloodthirsty hunt because she's upset.' Damon frowned, his expression as fake as his words. He didn't care. 'Boo-hoo.' He added for unneeded dramatic effect.

'Damon, this is serious.' Stefan glared and to everyone's surprise, Damon sighed and his expression turned relaxed.

'What do you want to do about it, brother.' Damon raised an eyebrow, his arms crossed once again. In no way was he now the Damon others believed he was but this was far less aggressive than the last. It would do, for now.

'Lock her up. I'll put her on my diet for now. You,' he pointed vindictively at his brother 'need to apologise. At least try to be sincere, we need to drive her to us.' Damon scoffed once more but nodded and Stefan sighed in relief. The other's watched the encounter with curious eyes but didn't say a word, their plan as flawless as the possible in the situation. It was either have Damon speak to her or drag her back screaming and thrashing. Either would do but the first would be a lot less messy.

'Where is she now?' Damon asked, uncaringly and bored. Stefan rolled his eyes but looked over to the others from the stairwell where they stood.

'She was last spotted near the Grill.' Alaric stated, calm and collected. He seemed to be the only one left in his right mind.

'Well, that's me then. I'll come back with her soon. Au revoir!' Damon spoke sarcastically, earning him a glare once more. Not that he cared until he spotted Stefan. Even then, he simply shrugged at his brother and left before anyone could hold him back. He would much rather be allowed to stay in this town rather than being forced out, again. A loose vampire was a threat to his life so he would eliminate it- even if it was Elena.

Damon did find Elena, rather quickly I may add, just as she finished off the man- her teeth in his neck. 'Hello, Elena.' He smirked as she flung her head in his direction, her hair flying behind her. She was beautiful, actually. Vampirism was good for her- just as it was for everyone. Well, at least in Damon's opinion.

'Leave.' She gritted her teeth, before baring her fangs as Damon didn't even flinch. He laughed haughtily and still didn't move.

'Oh, Elena. You know I'm much stronger than you.' He rammed her into the wall of the alley he had found her in and smiled wickedly. 'I was told to come and say sorry but I think this is much more fun.' He winked and snapped her neck almost instantaneously. No matter how much he would like to vent his troubles, he didn't have the time to play with Elena. He had to get her back to Stefan.

'You were quick.' Bonnie spoke, scowling, as Damon walked in- Elena strewed over his shoulder.

'Yeah, the apologising thing didn't go to plan so I just knocked her out for a bit. Let's just get her in the dungeon.' He gave one of his charming smiles yet it fooled no one.

'Damon! You clearly didn't even try!' Caroline flung her arms up, gesturing to the unconscious girl with clear bruising on her neck. It seemed that newer vampires didn't heal as quickly- or maybe the injuries were just that much worse.

'I mean, maybe I didn't. But, the job's done. It's fine.' He shrugged and began to walk into the dungeon where Stefan awaited him.

'Damon!' Stefan lectured as he threw Elena into the cell. 'What the hell did you do!' Damon laughed, he seemed to do that a lot.

'I got her here. That's all the matters brother.' Damon smirked, backing Stefan into a corner.

'Not now Damon.' He shook his head as Damon leant in.

'Why not?' His brother smirked, leaning in once again, Stefan letting their lips touch.

'Their are others here.' Stefan complained, pulling away. Damon laughed, again. He didn't care. He would be happy if they saw, that meant they could only leave here sooner. Despite Damon not wanting to be run out of the town, he would be glad to leave it- as long as it was by his own choice.

'And you care because...?' Stefan had no answer as Damon's lips were brought to his again. Stefan couldn't stop but think about what they were. They were brothers yet they had also become lovers. No, they weren't brothers. Stefan knew that, Damon too. They were brothers by paper but you could see, even in their looks, that they weren't real brothers.

Damon had been adopted at age five, Stefan remembered the day, despite being much younger than five at the time. He had said the second Damon was brought to the family that he would be their brother. Damon was, in fact, the son of another aristocrat of their town who died of the plague. It was unknown that he had a son; he hadn't revealed the information for the sake of protection.

So, when Damon joined the family, he was thought to have been there all along. At the time, not many knew of Stefan either. They often waited until they were older to be told that the family had sons. A birth would usually be announced but not always.

It had gone through properly and despite his father often being cruel to Damon, he still thought of him as his own son. That was just how his family was. Stefan had promised to Damon that they would be brothers, that they would be as close as any brothers by blood. They would be at each other's side for eternity. And, later on, they realised eternity would be a long time.

So, as Stefan kissed Damon, he began to feel less guilty. 'I'm breaking my promise to you. You aren't my brother anymore. We can't be like that. They can think we are but deep down, you were never my brother. You were...this.' Stefan brought his lips to Damon, smiling.

He had called him brother because of a childish promise but now, neither cared for that promise that was made so many years ago. They were more than brothers now. They were closer than any brothers could be. But, the others still believed they were brothers and that was the problem.

Especially when Caroline walked down the stairs. Damon's lips had just met Stefan's in another hungry kiss, only to be interrupted by a high pitch squeal. 'No way. No way. No way.' She continued to repeat the phrase as the two brother's looked over at her. Within seconds, they burst out laughing. Oh, how trivial their life was.

They left Caroline, who was now somewhat paralysed, to look after Elena before dismissing the rest of the group- telling them to either leave or join Caroline. With that, they were alone and everything had seemed to click into place.

word count: 1345

published: 02.04.17