This is the End of You

A middle-aged blonde woman opens the door.  She has an overly peppy smile on her face.

"Zane!" she squeals like a little girl, and gives me a big hug.  "It's so great to finally meet you, come in! Oh, I'm Holly by the way.  Here, my husband, Rob, will take your bag up to your room."

I walk into their perfect living room that looks like something you would see on a television show.

Rob is blonde too, and looks like an actor.  Which must be a good thing, since these people must love acting.

A girl who is clearly my age is sitting on the sofa, talking on her cell phone.  She looks like a miniature version of her mother.  Long blonde hair, a fake smile and a make-up painted face.  She has on a pink T-shirt and short denim shorts.  I feel out of place with my black hair that goes down to my chin and covers my dark brown eyes, my black hoodie and skinny jeans.

"Like, oh my gawd, Chelsea! He is, like, totally way to hawt for her!" The girl says into her phone.

"Karen, put your phone away, please.  Your brother is here." Says Holly.

I don't like the fact that she has already called me her son.  Well technically not her son, but her daughter's brother is close enough.

Karen rolls her eyes. "Bye, Chelsea." She says and hangs up her phone.

Rob has come back downstairs.

"Zane, this is Karen." says Holly. "Karen, this is Zane."

"Zane is a weird name." says Karen. I look off in another direction, and when Karen notices that I'm not going to respond, she opens her mouth.  "Is he retarded?"

"Karen!" says Holly in a shocked voice.

"Well, he isn't talking!" Karen protested.

I got a black sharpie out of my pocket and wrote selective speech on my hand, then I held it up for Karen to see.

"He's just shy." Says Julie.

"Karen, your mother and I need to talk to Julie for a little while, so why don't you show Zane to his room?" Asks Rob.

She pouts for a minute, and then says "Yes, Daddy."

She leads me up a staircase, and then in front of s door.

"Listen, emu." she says, and I smile at her stupidity.  She looks confused, but still begins to speak.  "I don't know who you are, but you're a freak." Then she walks away.

I open the door.  The room is white and beige.  Very plain.  There is a desk with a laptop, which I am very happy about.

I grab my Ipod out of my bag and connect it to the laptop.  I begin to play the song "Creatures" by Motionless in White.

I unpack and a few hours later Holly knocks on my door and calls me to dinner.

We sit at the table and eat while Karen babbles on about who-knows-what.  Nobody tries to make me talk, which I am very grateful for. 

When we are all finished eating Holly says "Well, Zane, you have a very big day tomorrow.  Oh, and I hope you don't mind, but tomorrow after school I want you to go shopping for clothes and things."

I nod and go upstairs.

Tomorrow will be my first day at a new school.  And while I am apathetic on the outside, on the inside I am terrified.