X L V I I

[edited: 24/03/2018]

This was not the first time that Cliona Trevils had been a part of the Warlock Army; before her first child, Tykon, had been born, she had dedicated herself to fighting for Refilyn in any way that she could, whether that meant fighting in wars between the realms or simply maintaining peace among her own. This was, however, the first time that she had fought against dark magic, and that made her more nervous than she was used to.

Still, the anticipation of using her own magic buzzed through her veins and caused her eyes to glimmer an unnatural blue—not that they were usually a natural blue anyway. She had been searching for her husband ever since she had come through the portal, hiding behind jutting out cliffs and searching the endless throngs of red uniform for his familiar head of blue hair. 

Just as she was about to give up hope, her name was called above the chaos. "Cliona!"

She had no doubt in her mind that it was his voice, and she turned to him eagerly, relief flooding through her when she found the face of the person she loved most.

"Wayde!" she responded and pulled him into her arms briefly. As much as she would have loved to prolong this moment between them, she knew they did not have much time. By now, the Dark Ones would be on their way and soon they would be engaged in battle. At least now she would be fighting alongside her husband.

"Thank Refilyn I found you in time," she breathed as she found the will power to pull away from him. The pandemonium surrounding her seemed to dissolve into white noise as she made eye contact with her husband. "I was worried I would not see you before the battle."

"I am here," he reassured, kissing her forehead softly. His golden eyes twinkled with something that Cliona recognised well; excitement. She was not the only warrior in the family; in fact, she had met Wayde in the army centuries ago, and he looked just as he had then, now, with a fire lighting up his irises.

Her husband's eyes darted suddenly away from her as though he might have been looking for something. Cliona could guess what that was immediately. "Tykon was asked by August to stay in Astracia and carry out a personal errand for him. You do not have to worry."

It was clear that Wayde wanted to question his wife further, for his expression flickered with curiosity, but there was no time for that now. They were being guided towards the cliffs like water nymphs stuck in an ocean current, and it was all they could do to lace one another's fingers together determinedly.

"When we fight, promise me that you will stay by my side," Wayde demanded and squeezed Cliona's hand desperately. "We fight together or not at all, remember?"

It was what they had always said together when they had been soldiers in the army, and Cliona's heart panged at the sound of it now. So many years had passed, one would think all of that would be forgotten now, but it was impossible for either of them to forget the way they had felt for each other—and the way they still felt now. "Yes," she nodded and smiled up at her husband. "Always."

His hand was warm as the two began to climb up the cliffs cautiously, and she knew that he was preparing his magic in order to fight. She would not get much more out of him now; his eyes were narrowed and his hand clutched an enchanted blade. He was ready for battle. It still astounded her how at home he looked with a weapon in his hand, and more than that, how beautiful. She was lucky to be married to such a vibrant soul.

She mirrored his stance, pulling her own sword out of its sheath and holding it out in front of her. They would fight together or not at all.

It did not take long to climb the cliffs, and Cliona did not dare to look down onto the black waters beneath her. The sight had made her shiver as she had fallen from the portal, and she did not wish to be reminded of the darkness that surrounded her. Wind whipped through her silver hair and she wondered why it was so much colder here than it was in Astracia. This was not a place that she ever wished to go to again.