Chapter 7: Letting My Guard Down

I woke up groggy and cuddled up beside another wolf. The wolf was a stranger to me, but I felt safe.

"Who are you?" I asked.

See people think werewolves can only talk through minds in wolf from truthfully we can talk aloud and only other werewolves will hear words humans will only hear growls. It's just like they think silver harms us truthfully silver makes us stronger.

"My name is Grail and I'm only half-were," he stated.

"Grail do you belong to the Aren pack?"

"No I do not. I'm different then most of the Aren pack. I belong to a very special pack," he said cryptically.

"Then why are you on Aren land without consent of the Alpha?" I growled.

"Because we were told a special person was among this pack," he said.

Special person none of the wolves in our pack had powers not even my father. The only one who'd be different is me, but I hide what I truly am. I'm pure wolf yet at the same time I'm not.

"Who?" I questioned concerned about my pack.

"We don't know. The last time the power was felt was about 15-16 years ago. My Alpha sent me to try and talk to the Alpha here, but no one will let me near him?" he hissed sounding pissed.

"Why were you beside me when I woke up?" I said fearing the answer.

"You looked desolate. I have never seen a wolf with your coloring young man," he said I just laughed.

"What makes you think I'm a man?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Well your to big to be a female were," he stated matter of factly.

"But I'm a female," I said laughing as his eyes experienced shock. My laugh came out like a growl and a howl in one.

"Your a female, but your larger then me," he said sounding impressed.

"Yes well maybe I can be of help with your problem," I offered deciding to trust him.

"How do you know the Alpha?" he asked excited.

"Better yet I'm the next in line," I grinned a wolfy grin.

"Your next in line, but it's impossible for a female to have the gene," he growled jumping back.

"Not really I'm the next in line my children haven't shifted yet so I don't know which of them carries the Alpha gene after me," I said sadly.

"You have a mate then," he stated sounding sad.

"No I don't have a mate at least not one I'll acknowledge," I meant to think the last part but it came out any way.

"Your hiding the bond from your mate aren't you? He is your children's father I presume."

"Yes. I hate my mate and I only found out the morning after the quads were conceived," I whispered.

I was so distraught and I trusted this wolf so much I let my guard down. My true scent then over powered both of us and, the air around us thrummed with my power. My fur started to glow as well I had suppressed it for too long.

Grail was gasping for breath and I couldn't rein it in. My power wouldn't stop flowing and if I didn't hide it soon the whole pack would follow it thinking we were under attack.

"Grail get out of here," I growled.

"No," the fur on Grail began to glow and my power was drawn back into me as I felt calmness surrounding me.

"So your the special wolf then?"

"I'm not exactly a wolf," I stated they can't find out who I am it's too dangerous.

"Now get off my land before I let my guards tear you to shreds," I growled running off.

I trusted Grail, but he couldn't find out my other secret. It's a main part of why I left. I might be the next Alpha of my pack, but I had a bigger destiny then that. If anyone found out to soon many people would target me and my family.

I ran home to find the kids and my parents there pacing in front of the door.

"Mom," the 4 of them said in unison running into my arms.

"Honey did you see anything suspicious in the woods?" dad asked I guess they felt my power wave.

"No daddy. I just went to the lake to calm down after Gabe said those things," I whispered.

Dad and the quads went up to the game room. Dad was happy to finally have grandkids and wanted to play with them. I was about to go up with them, but mom stopped me.

"Sweetheart. Your dad has decided to hand the title of Alpha over to you on the next full moon," my mother said gravely.

The passing of an Alpha title is dangerous. Sometimes the previous Alpha would die during the power transfer and mom was worried about dad. It would had been worse if he had died without an heir because the power would have disappeared completely upsetting the balance of nature the same thing happens if an Alpha dies before transferring their power.

"Mom don't worry. I'm not a weak wolf I can do this without harming dad," I reassured her.

"I know sweetie, but we can't deny the will of our goddess. Especially not when it comes to feelings for our mates," my mom replied as if she knew I was blockage the bond from my mate.

"Mom are you trying to imply something?" I growled.

"Honey I saw it when you came in. You have a faint outline that fades in and out of a mate. That only happens if you've mated, but he hasn't marked you," my mom said.

"Mom look you won't understand right now, but it's too dangerous for me to have a mate right now. Also I don't want a mate anymore. I met a witch before the quads were born," I said closing my eyes.

Flashback

"Your an Alpha to be as well as an expectant mother," I heard an old woman say to me.

She beckoned me over towards her. Pointing at a carving on the door. She's a witch.

"Yes," I replied.

"Listen to me carefully. Until after you become an Alpha and your children shift for the first time you can not let your mate discover your bond. If you do one of your children will die and an ancient evil will become invincible," she croaked before disappearing in a puff of smoke.

End of Flashback

"What did she tell you?" mom asked worried. Usually witches didn't have good news if they seek you out.

"She warned me that until a specific time I cannot let my mate discover that we are mates. It will be very dangerous mother so please drop it," I said closing my eyes.

"Alright sweetheart. But you can't hide it forever. If you 2 accidentally kiss he'll realize the truth," mom said.

"Yes but mother I can lose one of my babies," I muttered.

"Oh sweetheart. I'm sorry. Look I'll keep the fact hidden that their father isn't a human," mom said hugging me.

I only had a few months left. All I had to do was avoid Cavien during the whole time, and my babies wouldn't die.

"Let's go play with the kids," I stammered.

Wiping my eyes I lead my mother up stairs to were dad and the kids were. Peeking in I saw dad being pinned down by the boys and Lil just flopped down on top of all of them. Making mom and I laugh.

I was happy that mom and dad accepted them so quickly. The 4 of them had been nervous about meeting their grandparents believing the wouldn't love them. I felt tears prick my eyes as I realized although I stayed away so long to protect everyone it had hurt them as well. I'm glad to be home.