iv. kings and queens | part two [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

" and I don't get waves of missing you anymore // they're more like tsunami tides in my eyes "
-- U.N.I, Ed Sheeran

----

Another night of late studying. With the clock chiming quarter to two in the distance, I shouldered my old tattered leather black bag and prepared to leave the college library. I supposed I was lucky: while I technically had no active parents, they hadn't forgotten to provide for me. My college fund that Momma had set aside for me, which it turned out I didn't even need because I'd graduated high school with a full scholarship, now went to keeping the house warm, lights on, plumbing working, and all the other little necessities. And then there was my seventeenth-birthday present from my father -- a brand new smartphone, like what everyone these days had. I smiled a little, remembering what he'd told me upon giving it.

"Alright, Jazz," Daddy says, winking at me conspiratorially as I bombard him with thanks for the gift, something I had not been expecting. "You're going to college soon, so I figured I should get you a lil' something to keep you in touch with your old man. I know you'll be all up in there rockin' the campus because you're just that kind of girl. And I should know, shouldn't I? I'm really going to miss you when you go, baby girl." He chokes up here. "Don't forget to call, okay? I may be getting sick, but I guarantee your calls will get me better. So don't forget to call. Call everyday, alright?" Upon hearing my vehement promises to do so, he chuckles and hugs me tightly. "Now, where's that mother of yours?"

True to my word, I'd called everyday upon getting into college. When I'd graduated high school, Daddy had been having more problems with his health. That summer, he was scheduled for five doctors appointments in one month. When I'd finally gone to college, Momma had up and died. And then, almost three-fourths of the way into my freshman year of college, Daddy was admitted into the hospital -- permanently.

But I still called.

I'd already called yesterday, but the clock said it was ten minutes to one now, so it was technically the next day. I stepped out into the brisk winter wind, still debating on calling Daddy again, when a large puke-green minivan pulled up to the curb and honked loudly, the noise shattering the semi-quiet air. I jumped, startled. What the hell?

The tinted windows rolled down, and there, grinning broadly with that devilish oh-so-familiar handsome grin, was --

"Hello, Princess!" called Justin, smiling jovially at me from the driver's seat of the other side, looking cute in his dark green sweater and dark jeans. "Need a ride?"

"How --" I tried to be creeped out over the fact that he apparently knew where I went to college, but it was so nice to see a familiar face right then I broke out into an even bigger grin. "Boy, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, you know, the usual," he replied cockily. "Picking up girls for a night out on the town."

I had to laugh. "It's almost two o'clock in the morning!"

He shrugged, still smiling. "The night is young!"

Our laughter gradually ceased, though a faint smirk still graced my lips. "So, am I possibly one of these girls in question?"

Justin smiled gently now. "I would like that very much." He made a show of unlocking the car for me and turning on the lights on the passenger side. "That is, if you wouldn't mind joining me?"

I smiled back at him. "How can I refuse? As long as it isn't a bother or anything -- it is late."

"All the more reason to give you a ride!" Justin quickly hopped out of his car and hurried around to open the door for me. "M'lady," he said, gesturing to me. "Your carriage awaits!"