Chapter 06 - Sleight of Hand

There was a loud snap as the kunai managed to break through Sayuri’s armor.  A silent curse escaped when the kunai plunged into her side.  Kakashi’s eyes flew open wide at the woman in front of him.  Naru pulled the kunai out and stared at the black figure in front of him in anger. 

“So you’re the fourth member.”  Naru positioned the kunai to attack again. 

“Another toy?”  Baku asked as he ignored Kurenai and turned his attention to Sayuri who was clutching her side, secretly healing it. 

Kakashi stared at the figure in front of him.  The curves of the black figure gave away that it was a female.  The red glowing eyes seemed to be looking through him before she turned slowly to the two enemies. 

“No, this one is my toy.”  Naru’s hand wrapped roughly around the geisha’s neck and lifted her up. 

Disappointment appeared in his eyes when the figure didn’t even flinch from his hold.  A harsh wave of chakra flew out of Sayuri, sending Naru flying backwards and crashing through the forest.  Sayuri landed silently and turned her attention to the enemy standing near Kurenai.  Baku stared in shock at the woman standing before him. 

“Sayuri.”  Kurenai sighed in relief at seeing her friend. 

Sayuri took long strides towards the man while weaving hand signs faster than the human eye could follow.  Baku finally snapped out of his shock as the genjutsu set in.  Vines and roots wrapped around his whole body and thorns tore into his flesh without mercy.  Baku let out a roar of pain as he tried fighting through the genjutsu, resulting in a louder roar of pain. 

Kurenai watched in wonder as her previous mentor pulled out three throwing needles and poised them to end Baku.  A large crack in the ground zoomed towards her, forcing her to drop the weapons and whip around.  Kakashi’s eyes flew open wide as the attack neared him.  Noticing his lack of movement, Sayuri picked up the lazy ninja and darted out of the path of the attack. 

“What are you doing?”  Naru turned a glare on Baku who was withering in pain while Sayuri placed Kakashi a safe distance away from the renewed battle. 

“Don’t touch me!”  Baku flinched back when Naru went to release his ally from the genjutsu. 

“You damn pussy.”  Naru muttered as he forced some of his chakra into the bigger man.  The leader turned his attention to the newest target and began to form hand signs. 

“Watch out!”  Kurenai warned as the leader made his final hand sign. 

A pit appeared under the women as Naru tried to catch her off guard.  Sayuri slowly sank into the hole and landed soundlessly on one of the vicious spikes, balanced perfectly so to avoid any harm from the dangerous spike.  The ground over the geisha closed as the pit began to shrink.  Without hesitating, Sayuri transformed halfway into the eagle long enough to create a giant crater where the jutsu had once been.  The spike she had been standing on disintegrated as the geisha stepped off of it and towards Baku. 

“You promised to let me keep one of them to play with!”  Baku glared at the leader. 

“Keep the other one for all I care!”  Naru prepared to send another attack at the threat.  Both of them were running low on chakra.  The leader was caught in a jutsu this time.  A fist came zooming towards Sayuri from the side as Baku noticed the jutsu on his friend. 

“Let him go!”  Baku demanded as his fist approached her. 

The heel of her shoe caught the large man in the jaw as quick as a viper, sending the ninja sprawling to the ground a few yards away.  The lapse in her attention allowed Naru to escape from the genjutsu.  Sweat trickled down his forehead as he huffed in an attempt to recover from the harsh mental attack.  Naru charged at her this time.  Sayuri darted to the side, avoiding the attack.