Chapter 13 - It's Alive!

“Damn it.”  Lord Ashimi cursed loudly as the geisha he had hostage leaned into the blade and fell to the ground in a heap. 

“Sayuri.”  The ninja opposing the Lord muttered in shock. 

“They always break so easily.”  A heavy foot lashed out at the woman, sending her flying across the room into the wall. 

“Where is Sayuri?”  Kurenai asked as she entered the room slowly, aware of her closeness to the dangerous man that had captured Sayuri just moments ago. 

No one replied as the kunoichi approached the rest of her squad.  As she stopped by Asuma’s side she noticed the crumpled geisha.  A thin line of blood was flowing down her neck and pooling under her. 

“It’s not possible.”  Kurenai muttered to herself repeatedly as she sunk to her knees, staring at the corpse of the painted woman on the floor a few yards away.  Kakashi pushed away his own shock and threw the kunai he had retrieved earlier.  The projectile found its place in Lord Ashimi’s throat.  Shaking hands reached up to clutch the weapon that was ending his life. 

“You let her die.”  Kurenai muttered lowly, refusing to let the geisha out of her sight.  “YOU LET HER DIE!”  She bellowed at the team leader as she stood up in a flash to be in his face. 

“She knew the risks of accompanying the Prince.”  Kakashi attempted to sooth the raging woman. 

“Plus, she leaned into the knife.”  Asuma added and received a harsh slap to the face.  Realizing that he had crossed the line, the Hokage’s son looked down in shame. 

“I’ll go inform the royal family of the events.”  Kakashi avoided the raging kunoichi and went to find the King and Queen. 

***

“What do you mean my Sayuri is dead!?”  The Prince cried when he was told of the news.  “We must have a burial this night!” 

“Takayuki, she is not from our land.  It would be disrespectful to bury an outsider in the royal burial grounds.”  The Queen chided her immature son. 

“But I loved her.”  The Queen lashed out and slapped her son across the cheek with a snarl on her face. 

“Geishas do not love.”  The Queen’s harsh words cut through the young Prince, resulting with him running out of the room with tear brimmed eyes. 

“I think it is time we called it a night.”  The King spoke for the first time as he slowly rose out of his jeweled chair and made his way towards his sleeping chamber that he shared with his wife. 

“We will be leaving in the morning.”  Kakashi announced to his squad and the Queen. 

The older woman huffed before following after her husband to prepare for bed. 

Kurenai refused to look at the males around her and she dragged her feet towards her room.  Asuma didn’t try to stop her as she ignored his guilty gaze and outstretched fingers. 

***

A lithe figure darted out of the room of Sayuri in the dead of night.  Black was the only color visible on the running person.  It lightly jumped off of the roof and landed without a sound on the balcony that lead to the King and Queen’s room.  The two royalties were sound asleep on their large and fluffy bed. 

The figure, appearing to be a woman in the dim light, made some swift hand signs before her hands began to glow a dark red color.  She briefly touched her palms to the King and then to the Queen before the glowing stopped and she ran out of the room back to the balcony.  Resuming her dash across the roof, she stopped and lowered herself off of the roof to be able to open the window to the Prince’s room where she repeated the process.