Battles

Chapter Thirty-Two

Battles

Elli sat on the awning right outside her bedroom window. She waited for Blake to join her, knowing that he had to exit through her window since the attic had none. It was midnight and they would be heading out shortly. She was trying to enjoy what could possibly her last moments of peace on this earth, although the dread for what was to come made that difficult.

Blake silently appeared next to her and her head snapped over to focus on him.

“Why do you smell like human blood?” she demanded, the scent permeating her nose and triggering a gag reflex.

He rolled his eyes at her response. “Because we both need to be at full strength for this.”

“So you killed someone?” she growled.

“Relax. I didn’t kill anyone, because I knew you’d get your tail in a knot over it.”

“Tell me you didn’t just leave some poor victim unconscious in the street.”

“I didn’t attack anyone, furball.”

“Then how did you get blood? Steal it from a hospital?” she asked with a derisive snort. When he remained silent, she stared at him wide-eyed. “You didn’t…”

“I did, because I didn’t realize we would have to have a conversation about it. I figured you would complain a lot less, but I’m starting to think there isn’t any winning with you.”

She sighed but let it go and jumped down from the awning, landing in a crouch and springing to her feet, righting herself. Blake landed beside her and grinned, fangs glinting in the moonlight. They headed for the front gate, but froze.

“Son of a bitch,” Elli muttered.

“Guys, we do not have secrets in this house. It’s literally impossible,” Richard pointed out.

Blake threw up his hands in exasperation. “You were sleeping!”

“I’m a seer!” he retorted. He dropped his voice and muttered, “I still have the dreams about my future.”

Blake frowned. “We’ll have to work on that later, but I don’t see why a dream about your future involved us.”

He gestured to his general surroundings, “Saw this.”

“I’m offended that you even tried this, Elli,” Noah spoke, crossing his arms and glaring at his sister. She shrugged unapologetically.

Noah and Richard raised their eyes to the porch behind Elli and Blake, who turned to face it.

“Fantastic,” Blake muttered as the remaining housemates stood on the porch. All four of them were armed, Desmond with his wand, the other three with guns.

Where did they get more guns? Elli wondered.

“We’re coming,” Addy said.

Elli sighed and Blake shot her a look that spoke volumes. He didn’t have to say a word to remind her how dangerous this would be for her packmates. She stared at her friends on the porch and considered it.

“Fine. Let’s go,” she relented. Blake rolled his eyes but didn’t comment.

“So who’s in which car?” Addy wondered.

Elli frowned, because she and Blake had planned on walking, but that would take much too long with their slower companions. The problem with the vehicles was that they would definitely kill any element of surprise they would have. She had to put some thought into this.