Chapter 1

I leaned on the fence, pulling the cigarette up to my pale, pink lips and take another long drag. I held it in for a while, closing my eyes and leaning my head back as it hit the gate. And I let it out, watching the smoke fade into the cool air. I kick my foot back and forth, scraping my combat boots on the concrete, trying to clear my head of the thought of the state I saw my mother in this morning. I saw her passed out on the couch, with a beer bottle dangling off it due to its loose grip in her tired hands. What’s it like to get up on a dreadful Monday morning for school and see your mother lying practically lifeless in your living room, after not seeing her at all the day before? Well I’ll answer that... It fucking sucks.

“Listen dude, Jenna is like, a million times hotter than Becky!” I hear a familiar voice argue while walking down the sidewalk, but I don’t even bother to look.

“Nah man, you need to check your eyes…there is no way I’m picking Jenna over Becky.” Another voice answers, and I hear a couple others laugh. I finally look up, my curiosity getting the best of me. Of course, how could I have not noticed their obnoxious voices? I guess I really am out of it today. The pesky sound was coming from none other than Luke Hemmings and his little “gang”. They think they’re such bad asses and shit, Well I’m probably one of the very few in our school who don’t give a flying fuck about any of them. Now, don’t get me wrong, their all pretty decent looking, and trust me, they know it. But here’s the thing, they don’t care about anyone, or anything besides how their hair looks, and who’s going to be their ‘girl’ this week.

They all laugh on their way to school and one of them, their ‘leader’ Luke, stops walking and holds his hand out to stop his friends from walking any further as well. “I’ve got this one, let me show you how it’s done.” He says, in his natural cocky tone and begins to walk up to me.

“Well hello there pretty lady.” He says, flashing me one of those ‘I’m hot, so you’re supposed to like me’, smiles.

 I look up from the ground and out of my deep train of thought to look up at him. He’s leaning over me, with his right arm stretched out over my head, and pressed onto the gate I was resting on. I raise my eyebrow as I look up at him. Waiting for him to either continue or flaunter away, I tap my index finger on my worn out cigarette, allowing the loose ashes to fall to the pale grey cement.

“It’s Riley, right?” He asks, still looking down at me and smiling a bit. His usually bright blue eyes are a paler shade of grey this morning. I nod, clearly un- amused at his pathetic attempt to impress his brainless friends by trying to talk to me.

“Listen, I know you’re trying to act all cool around me, but it’s okay, you can stare babe, I won’t mind.” He says and smirks again. I look over at his friends and to no surprise; grin’s filled their faces as well. “Why don’t you come to my place Friday night? I’m having a little party and I’m sure we could have some fun together.” He continues, with his voice almost to a whisper as he leans closer to me. I take one last drag and blow the smoke in his face, dropping the overused cigarette on the floor afterwards, and put it out by scraping it with the bottom of my boot as he fans away the smoke from his ‘perfect’ face.

“Why don’t I shove my foot up your ass where the rest of your ego belongs?” I finally respond, picking up my book bag from beside my feet on the floor and sling if over my shoulder. “Not interested.” I add and turn my body and walk the rest of the way to school, hoping Luke’s arrogance didn’t rub off on me already.

“Yeah dude, you just showed us what not to do.” I hear one of his friends say as I walk off and I hear them laugh. “Shut up.” I hear Luke respond to them, in a not-so- happy tone. “I’ll get her, she totally wants me, Just give me a few weeks.” He adds, lightening up is tone into his formally known, cocky tone again. I can practically picture the cheeky, over-confident smile on his face. Yeah sure, He’ll get me alright. Get me to slap him in his pretty face if he tries something again.