Chapter II

"It'll be fine. I promise."

She squeezed my hand tightly as she chewed on her bottom lip that I desperately wanted to suck on.

"Hey, hey knock that off."

I slid her lip out from between her teeth and she blushed.

"Sorry."

I smiled and took hold of her hand once again as she started fidgeting. I laughed aloud and she hit my chest jokingly.

"I'm nervous okay!? I'm never late for anything. Even if it is just a graduation!"

"Well we're here so you can stop being so nervous."

She leapt out of the car before I could open the door for her and rushed into the school, dragging me behind her.

"Ray Hopkins and Kimberly Melcher."

"Here you go. Hurry, they just started."

She put my name tag neatly on my right breast pocket and did the same to herself before rushing to the auditorium. We took our seats next to our families and she finally relaxed.

"Told you we'd be fine."

I smiled smugly as she settled into my side and I wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Finally my sisters name was called and our whole row jumped up screaming and cheering.

"Melanie Hopkins...you have successfully graduated from Valley Hills Middle School on high honor role. Congratulations."

She accepted her diploma and smiled a dimpled smile towards my moms flashing camera. She walked off the stage and the rest of the graduation passed by in a blur. As we left the hot auditorium she ran into Kimmy with open arms.

"I thought you forgot about me!"

"Of course not Melanie! I could never forget about you Dimples."

They hugged for a second longer before Melanie went to hug me and our parents.

•••

We sat in a circular booth in the middle of Nirvana, Melanie's favorite restaurant, and we all chatted idly as we waited for desert.

"Ray?"

"Yea?"

I looked down at Kimmy and froze at the sight of her pale face.

"What's wrong?!"

"I-I don't feel so good."

I pressed a hand to her forehead and decided she wasn't overheating and slid out of my seat with her in my arms.

"We're gonna head home, Kimmy doesn't feel too good."

After our seemingly never ending goodbyes we were in my car on the way home.

"Tell me if you feel like you're going to throw up okay?"

She nodded slowly and rested her head against the window. I cranked up the air-conditioner and she sighed greatfully. We got home within the next ten minutes and I rushed up to her room with her in my arms. I laid her in her bed gently after stripping off her shoes and dress and un-doing her hair.

"Are you sure you don't need anything Kimmy?"

"N-no. I think it's just something I ate. Can you lay with me?"

I nodded and stripped off my shirt and pants before sliding in behind her. She turned and wrapped her arms around my neck before pushing her face into my neck.

"Thanks Ray."

"You know I'll always be here for you Kimmy."

I kissed the top of her head as she drifted off to sleep.

+Was it really just something Kimmy ate? Or is something deeper, and more complex going on?+

+The point of this chapter was just to show more of Ray's caring side before the drama starts(: +