The Last Guardian Chapter 6

The Last Guardian

Chapter 6

I lay on the bed in my room. It was plush and very comfortable. It reminded me of home. The bed was wide and covered in the softest cotton I had ever felt against my bare body. The room had been accessorized with many candles. I had lit them before I had laid down to rest. They emitted aromas of vanilla, cranberry, and another scent I didn't recognize. It had been called honeydew and the smell was wondrous. Whatever this honeydew was it was a relaxing scent. It was something I would miss, when I left this place, if I could ever leave. Those thoughts turned my mind to the darker things I guess I had been avoiding.

Sitting here in my luxury suite wasn't helping solve anything. My mind wandered to those darker things, the inevitable, the wars to come. The future bleak as it was wouldn't cause me to run fleeing from my duties or my death. Sadness is an emotion, I hadn't thought my kind capable of but here I was feeling what could only be sadness. I had started feeling it even as I thought of my own death. I would die honorably but even a honorable death didn't make these alien feelings any better for me. Honor now that was something I understood. It wasn't an emotion, it was a tangible thing, something I could grasp.

Honor was a rule among my kind. Your kind, however seems to be lacking it. Yes some of you do have honor but most, I don't really think you even understand the concept. Apparently neither do my brethren, the ones who have came here to start a war. There is no honor in hurting those weaker than you. I mean would you just kill because you could? Because someone was weaker than you? Why should I even ask you this, of course you would. You have many times over, your wars of petulance, violence without cause, you make weapons you say for defense but yet you use them on those weaker than you.

I must say I do have pity for your kind, may be you don't know what your doing. Most of you act like small children, unable to grow up. Yes, my values are better than yours. I understand that I'm probably angering you even as you read this. I cannot help it, it is what I've known of your kind.

As I've been writing this I realize that you can't possibly understand the depth of my fear for your kind or that for my own life. The knock on the door has pulled my mind from my many wanderings. I know I should ignore it but I'm compelled to answer just as I've been compelled to leave the only home I've know to help you. As I walked for the door I realized I was still in my unclothed state. In otherworld this is just as frowned upon as it is in your world. I had no particular desire to put on the clothing I had stolen from Iris but I could not answer as I was.

My surroundings didn't offer any cover and the knock was rather persistent. I grab the sheet from the bed and used it like what you might call a toga. The Greeks of long ago had actually been very fond of them. I felt my nerves go raw. Whatever lay ahead on the other side of the door had my very senses going crazy. I walked precisely and very carefully to the door. I was prepared for a fight but what awaited me on the other side of the wooden panel shocked me so much that even had it been a fight I surely would have lost.

I grasped the knob and opend the door only to see the most stunning creature I've ever seen. I'm from Otherworld so for a mere human to stun me in such a way will remain in my memory forever or until I die which unfortunately is close at hand. May be I'll think of this sight when I die so that amusement will temper my death. Standing on the threshold of my room stood a man. The most stunning beautiful man I had ever glimpsed. He seemed to shine with his blue green eyes and raven hair. With creatures like this your kind was doomed. My kind coveted beauty and there was nothing more beautiful in existence. His beauty alone could start a war.

"Sorry, I must have the wrong room." His voice was deep and coated with a kind of sweetness.

I wanted to say something but I couldn't. My mind wouldn't work and he turned and walked away.

Your kind apparently can rival my own in beauty. I closed the door and made my way back to my bed, Thoughts of war and death were no longer my only thoughts but thoughts of blue green eyes and hair darker than midnight.