The Last Guardian Chapter 3

The Last Guardian

Chapter 3

Bloodshed is not the way but I can already smell the crimson stain humanity will leave behind. I don’t know why I’m still willing to try and help your kind. I find myself cast out by those that could help me because of my quest to protect you. I had to go before the elders today and the meeting wasn‘t a kind one. We had a meeting of sorts and they were in complete disagreement with me. They believe that war is necessary, they want what many of my kind want. They want to walk in the light. I asked for an army to help protect the borderland but their unyielding answer was no. I’m own my own in this as I knew I would be.

Why should I want to help you? This question goes unanswered in my mind day after day.

Your kind, you don’t care about me. You only acknowledge my existence in fantasy and fiction. You can’t see my soul, even if you could would you want to. Would you really want to know me if given the opportunity? It doesn’t matter, not really. I may have to come to your world to feed and I may have to help you but I do not have to know you. You are my prey and the flock that I must protect even if you don’t know it. I shouldn’t feel this way towards your kind but I can’t help myself. This curse that I carry is the burden of protecting the ones who don’t have a chance, you.

If you’re still reading this I wonder if you’ve began to believe me yet. I don’t know why I even care. I don’t know much about my own feelings lately. I believe I’m the first Guardian in history to question my duties. I, like my brothers and sisters have been exiled to Otherworld for to long. I want to walk in the light but cannot. I only leave here to feed and that to must be done in the dark. The darkness is our home, it is a never ending night here in otherworld. Where we live the sun cannot follow.

I lost my train of thought for a moment there. I was thinking about my home. Otherworld is beautiful. Our sky is a perfect night filled with stars. It is not like you’re thinking. I don’t even need you to tell me that you’re imagining my home as some kind of pitch black hell. It’s just forever night here. This part of the world has been untouched by the sun. I guess you’re thinking that because we live in a place of night that we can’t go out into the sunlight.. That’s where your world of fiction is wrong. The light it doesn’t bother us. It warms our skin just as it does yours, although my kind are less likely to suffer a sunburn if we stay out in it to long.

I feel like in some ways I may be telling you to much about our kind but I can’t help myself, it’s that dam never ending compulsion of mine again. I will be leaving my world for yours very shortly. This excursion into your world may not be pleasant for me. I don’t think you would really care either way You must understand if you will my other excursions into your world have been only to feed and have never lasted for more than one of your nights. Even though I can be there and your kind be completely unaware with me standing next to you, I wonder if I’ll be able to control my thirst.

My thirst, that’s a topic I haven’t covered and this is the part where my story may frighten you. I am not purposely trying to scare you, you must remember as I’ve told you I cannot lie. So the truth may be brutal for you to understand. Will you understand or even want to , that is up to you. Humanity reacts differently when faced with the unknown. I can imagine your reaction in my minds eye perfectly and you’ll see me as a monster

I guess you could say that I am a farmer and you are my sheep. I must protect you but only because I need you to grow and when you’ve matured just enough, I’ll slaughter you so that I may nourish myself and my family. I don’t think that, that description will help you see me as any less of a monster but that’s the best way I know how to describe it. I could just say that I lust for your blood. When I am near you the smell is like some enticing drug that I have to have. Do you see me as a monster yet or are still trying to imagine a fairytale? I can’t help but wonder what you’re thinking as you read this.

I’ve gotten off topic again, I shouldn’t be distracted so easily. I have been trained to ignore distractions but yet I cannot help myself.. So, where was I? Ah, I remember now, I was going to tell you about my kind. I don’t know why I need to. I mean it’s not like either you or I will survive the war. Humanities days are as numbered as my own. If I walked away that number for me would end as I have said I am immortal, eternal, all of my kind are. I am not the pale pasty faced, red eyed creature you expect. I look like I could be one of you. You would never be able to see me for what I am. I can blend in to a crowd or pass for one of you super models. I can turn to smoke and disappear in the blink of an eye, that’s already more than you need to know. I have already said to much but yet it still feels like it isn’t enough.

It’s almost night in your world so I must go and prepare for my journey. I’ll have to feed when I arrive. I haven’t fed in days and the hunger will only be stronger as I cross the borderland. I only hope you’ll understand that the ones I feed off of will die so that I can be strong enough to protect you. I won’t be enough alone to save you and even as I think of fighting beside you I shudder. Your kind offers me nothing for my allegiance to you in battle. You cannot even offer me friendship. So tonight as I cross the borderland and enter your world I’ll remember one thing as the last guardian I walk alone.