The Last Guardian Chapter 2

The Last Guardian

Chapter 2

War is coming and I can’t stop it or even slow it down. I do not want a war but sometimes I wonder if it’s the only way. I’ll do what I can to protect humanity because it’s my job. I have no feelings towards your kind other than that. I know this may sound harsh and I hope someday you’ll come to understand. With war there will be casualties and this war will bring unimaginable numbers. I have been told to walk away so that I might survive. I have considered this option but it is not my choice, nor is it in my nature to walk away. I do not want to fight my brothers and sisters of Otherworld but when the battle begins I fear I’ll have no choice.

There is so much I need to tell you but I’m not sure that I should. You need to know some basic history and I’ll try my best to explain things as best as I can. I shouldn’t really care if you listen to me or not but this compulsion I have to enlighten your kind is beyond me. I feel like I’m connected to you.

I know I told you earlier that I’m sixteen hundred years old give or take a decade or two. My age shouldn’t really matter but I need to give you a history lesson so I hope you’ve been paying attention. I’ve been around for longer than you can imagine. I’ve watched humanity in all it’s violence. Humanities true nature still comes as a shock to me. I’ve watched war after war among your kind. You fight over petty selfish ideals. You cannot live in peace or I should say it’s more like you won’t. The many different races of my kind do not war over the petty, we do not fight amongst ourselves. Otherworld is a peaceful place. The one thing we’ve coveted most in our limitless existence is the freedom humanity wastes. I fear your violent natures and the freedoms you take for granted will be your downfall.

We are governed by laws. We aren’t allowed to mingle with your kind. You are only food to us because the reality of humanity is that you are a closed minded group. If we were to reveal the true nature of ourselves to you your fear would cause a great war between us. I haven’t seen it happen but once long ago we tried to live in peace among your kind but your fears and superstitions nearly wiped our kind out. We could not fight back. Had we retaliated humanity would have been wiped from the earth. Because of this our fate was destined to Otherworld.

The great war was battled long before I was born. Our kind left humanity to the light while we cowered in the darkness. We did not cower in fear but because we did not want to destroy you. Laws were created and we were bound by them to protect your kind from ours. A border between your world and ours was established and the greatest warriors of our kind were chosen to guard it. There were five in the beginning Tatiash, a werewolf, Ansonia a demon, Marious a fairy, Delainia a vampire, and Aislyn a sorcerer. They were the first Guardians. All Guardians come from their bloodlines. Delainia is my blood line.

My heritage made me a Guardian and I have been one for over one thousand years. Although the original Guardians have passed the others that came to stand beside me never lasted more than a hundred years because of your kind. I’m not sure why I have lasted so long. There are no others to stand with me their bloodlines died out when the last four were killed off . I stand alone to protect a race that doesn‘t even acknowledge my existence and would kill me if they ever found out what I am..

Although we are eternal we can still die. Many Guardians have perished not at the hands of our kind but at the hands of the very humans we have tried to protect. This has caused an outrage among my people. Although we have been a peaceful civilization the loss of our greatest warriors has caused much upheaval and a rebellion has broken out in Otherworld. Many have waited for this rebellion but not because it’s justice they seek. They want to rule humanity, you would be a never ending food supply.

I know that the day for battle is approaching and I have closed all portals from Otherworld to yours. It’s not enough and I know it. As I said earlier the borderland has already been breached. I have no idea how many of my kind have already entered your world. I will have to cross over and hunt them. I do not relish the thought of killing my brothers but I will if they won’t return to Otherworld, they’ll leave me no choice. This journey to your world will not be my first but it may be my last.