XXVIII. The Trusted Friend

DAMAGED PIECES:

It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities, Evey, for silence is a fragile thing, one loud noise, and its gone. But the people are so cowed and disorganised. A few might take the opportunity to protest, but it'll just be a voice crying in the wilderness. Noise is relative to the silence preceding it. The more absolute the hush, the more shocking the thunderclap. Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations, Evey and it is much, much louder than they care to remember.

Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
______________________________________

Honk!

Screeech!!!

*Curses*

Bonk!

*Protest*

*Scream*

*Drag*

Ding!

*Huff* *Huff* *Huff*

...

"What's happened to Naruto?" asked Itachi, raising his head from the file he was scrutinizing.

Catching his breath, Naruto pointedly directed his gaze toward the younger brother of the inquirer. "You," he narrowed his eyes. Sasuke casually sipped on Itachi's coffee, ignoring the blonde who exasperatedly yelled, "are never driving again!"

Nonchalantly waving him off, the man took yet another sip and leaned back in the chair, a tiny glint of amusement in his usually poker eyes.

Offended by his lack of interest, Naruto glared at the upright raven hair, since his best friend refused to bother with turning around.

"I am going to tell Sakura about this when she's back! She will never let you drive Sarada again!" wailed the shaken blonde before marching off to fetch some water to calm his nerves.

"How exactly did you drive, Sasuke?" putting his report down, Itachi narrowed his eyes.

"Just a bit rash is all," Sasuke shrugged.

"A bit!? We nearly crashed into three cars on our way, almost got into a fight with a man who was thrice our size and busted at least seven side view mirrors!" A still upset Naruto joined them at the desk, abusing the bottle of water.

Itachi stared at his younger brother, appalled. "Sasuke?"

Utter quiet.

"You scared the shit out of the guy, little brother."

"Wasn't his first time. The guy's known me since childhood. Naruto is just being dramatic because I didn't let him drive." He arched a challenging brow at said man.

"So, you've done this before?" Itachi's wary voice alerted Sasuke of the revelation he'd slipped to his older sibling.

"No. Not at all," he immediatly lied and changed the topic. "Where's Gaara?"

"Nurse's station. Should be up shortly."

"Nurse's?" frowned Naruto.

"Yeah. The only reason he wasn't killed on spot was because he is the son of Suna's yondaime, Rasa."

Two pairs of dark and blonde eyebrows shot up in incredulity alike.

"Did he bring what we need?"

"You could show at least some concern, Sasuke. But, yes. He did."

The younger raven man's posture tensed.
"Gaara is more than capable of taking care of himself. The files," he held out is hand.

"Patience is not your brother's strongest suit, Itachi Uchiha" came a comment from behind Sasuke.