XXII. Matters Of The Heart

DAMAGED PIECES:

"Its not so much that we're so afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but its that place in between that we fear.... its like being between trapezes. Its Linus when his blanket is in the dryer.
There's nothing to hold on to."

- Marilyn Ferguson
______________________________________

Their mornings passed in a blur of pleasantness with their new houseguest and finally, the missing member of their family. Sarada was more than pleased with Sakura's return. Instead of sitting beside Sasuke for breakfast as per usual, she stuck next to her newly discovered mother.

How Sarada was taking the fact that she was her estranged mother, Sakura couldn't understand. Its a child's most beautiful quality though. They are innocent and forgiving to a fault. They don't understand holding on to pain, or the inability to let go. They don't know the cruels and devils of the world and their safe place is with their parents. Being a child is easy. Adults are difficult. Rigid. Somehow, each one is incomplete by themself - a piece of a puzzle of sorts. Putting the pieces together, something broken, something lost, something unrecognizably distorted called human, can be held together to make an individual.

Sakura knew at this point, that none other than this particular set of father-daughter can put her together.

The front door burst open, startling everyone and causing Sakura to drop the spoon and her thoughts, while poor Tenten jumped out of her skin and under the table.

Correction, not everyone was startled. Sasuke sat there unaffected, arms crossed, annoyance flickering on his face as his best friend stopped with a sheepish grin, not four meters from him.
Sasuke really hoped Naruto knew the reason behind this behavior - not that it was any different on a normal day when he barged in unannounced.

"Uhh.. Sasuke.. hehe," he rubbed the back of his head like a caught thief.

"Dobe, you're early."

Tenten was still under the table, except for the lone brown eye that poked out in observation. Sakura turned towards the latest arrival in blonde as if something very interesting was about to go down, eyes running between raven and gold.

"Well, your message said Sakura was back and - Sakura!"
He immediately shifted to acknowledge the pinkette and said girl was lifted into a bear hug. Then, she was twirled around and only when the Uchiha cleared his throat were her feet allowed to touch the floor.

"Sakura! How!? When!? I mean, wow! This is awesome! Welcome back, girl!" He put an arm around her shoulder. Sakura couldn't help but laugh at his bewilderment. But, the raven-haired father was not amused.

Sarada travelled the distance between the table and Naruto and raised her palm up.
"Yo, Sara. How you been?"
"Yo," she replied, receiving a tap from her uncle's palm.

"Dobe, we gotta talk," Sasuke impatiently said.

All humour vanished from the man's face, replaced with concern. He kneeled down to be eye-level with Sarada.
"Sara, you shouldn't say things you learn from the TV in front of them," Naruto told the 5 year old girl.

"Tch. Naruto," her father warned.

"Yeah, yeah," said man nonchalantly waved him off, not helping matters.
"Okay, you shouldn't say them at all," he told her.

Sasuke's disapproving grunt followed, earning a sigh from both Sakura and Naruto.

"Fine. Sara, you shouldn't learn from the TV at all. What Sasuke teaches you is the ultimate truth," he firmly said.