Chapter 17: The Docks

-

-

"Detective, you need to let go," the paramedic urges me, her voice cutting through the chaos as she kneels by Antonio's side. "You need to move and let us help him."

Reluctantly, I release my grip on Antonio's limp body, allowing the paramedics to take over. They apply pressure to the wound, their movements swift and practiced. Slowly, they lift him onto a stretcher and wheel him towards the waiting ambulance, parked nearby amidst the frantic activity of the scene.

"Katie, go with him. We'll meet you at the hospital," Voight's directive rings out above the clamor, his voice firm amidst the chaos of the moment. I nod, acknowledging his command, and climb into the back of the ambulance, settling into a seat next to the stretcher where Antonio lies. He looks so pale, so vulnerable.

Inside the ambulance, the paramedics work diligently around him, their movements focused and purposeful. They fit an oxygen mask over his face and work to stem the blood loss as much as possible. Meanwhile, I refuse to relinquish my hold on his hand, which hangs limply off the edge of the stretcher.

As we arrive at Chicago Med and pass through the sliding doors, Maggie takes charge, directing the paramedics to take Antonio to Baghdad, one of the trauma bays. Dr. Choi and Connor are already there, waiting to spring into action. Nervously, I hover at the door of the bay, watching anxiously as they begin their lifesaving work.

*

"Adres Dias convicted of several drug-related murders--" the TV blares in the hospital waiting room, its sound blending with the tension that hangs heavy in the air. We all stand, restless, pacing back and forth as we await news on Tony's condition.

Erin steps forward, her calm presence a reassurance amidst the anxiety. She places a comforting hand on Laura's shoulders, offering support in this trying moment. Laura, visibly shaken, nods gratefully, her own hand finding solace atop Erin's.

A doctor emerges from the hallway where Antonio is being treated, drawing our attention. Erin gestures toward him, prompting us to turn our focus to the impending update.

"Mrs Dawson--" the doctor addresses Laura.

"Is he gonna be all right?" Laura's voice trembles with worry.

"We're gonna monitor him closely, but he may need a second surgery. He's not out of the woods yet," the doctor informs us solemnly.

When the doctor delivers the news of Antonio's uncertain condition, a pang of despair shoots through me. It's as if the ground has shifted beneath my feet, leaving me teetering on the edge of uncertainty. Despite my attempts to remain composed, my hands tremble with unspoken fears, and my heart races with each passing moment.

Laura's gaze shifts toward the hallway, her concern evident. The doctor nods in acknowledgment, leading us to Antonio's room.

Inside, Antonio lies on the hospital bed, his once vibrant demeanor subdued by his injuries. His dark hair contrasts sharply against the pale sheets, and he appears fragile amidst the medical equipment surrounding him.